Re: [midatlanticretro] Looking for RF modulators

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
      Kelly Leavitt wrote:

      >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those little
      >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
      >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them for
      >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
      >
      >Thanks for any help.
      >
      >Kelly

      http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html

      Froogle is your friend.

      Joe
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
        what do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnt
        have cable inputs. You connected cable to the antenna
        jacks by way of an impedance matcher/adapter.
        Depending on what classic yer talking about, you dont
        need modulation, just a switch (those switches may
        also convert 75 to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64
        output channel 3 through the rca jack, carrierless
        composite video through the round din connector.
        --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        <starbase89@...> wrote:
        > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
        >
        > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
        looking for those little
        > >external switches to connect classics up to the
        cable inputs of "standard"
        > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
        one place that had them for
        > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
        > >
        > >Thanks for any help.
        > >
        > >Kelly
        > >

        > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
        >
        > Froogle is your friend.
        >
        > Joe

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Gene Ehrich
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
          At 09:04 PM 2/1/2006, you wrote:
          >Kelly Leavitt wrote:
          >
          > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those little
          > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
          > >TVs.

          Here's one on e-bay with no bids yet and starting bid of $3.85

          <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8758792448&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT>TI-99/4A
          UM1381-1 Video Modulator NEW TI
          99/4A<http://payments.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EmitSellerShippingCalculator&itemId=8758792448>
          --

          Also these from http://www.voicenet.com/~generic/

          TI-99/4A Modulator UM1381-1 (56) NEW (3 for $15).... $ 7
          TI Home Computer 99/4A Cassette Cable NEW
          Model # PHA 2622 (18) (3 for $15)................ $ 7
          TI Home Computer 99/4A Dual Cassette Cable NEW one
          w/2 leads 1/with 3 PHA 2000 (16) (3 for $15)..... $ 7

          > Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them for
          > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
          > >
          > >Thanks for any help.
          > >
          > >Kelly
          > >
          > ><http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html>http://www.baysoftgames
          > com/rfswitch.html
          >
          >Froogle is your friend.
          >
          >Joe

          > *
          >

          >----------
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
            RF switches suck.  You get a MUCH better picture with this:

            were called. I'm looking for those little
            >external switches to connect
            classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
            >TVs. Any sources for the
            old style ones? I found one place that had them for
            >$4.95 each. Can't
            find it again.

            >Thanks for any
            help.

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
              Evan wrote:
              RF switches suck.  You get a MUCH better picture with this:
              Radioshack has the same thing, but, as always, its more expensive. Only advantage is if you don't want to wait for shipping.

            • Degnan
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
                I have a box full of miscellaneous "computer to tv" units with the
                "computer" and "antenna" switches. Please specify the jack ends/impedience
                or whatever, etc. Are you trying to hook this to a tv with a newer
                cable connector, or a tv with the old fashioned antenna connectors
                like Chris was referring to?
                Bill D

                At Wednesday, 1 February 2006, you wrote:

                >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
                little
                >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of
                "standard"
                >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that
                had them for
                >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                >
                >Thanks for any help.
                >
                >Kelly
                >
                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                -- E N D --
              • Alfred Byrne
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                  connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                  you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.

                  <starbase89@...> wrote:
                  > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                  >
                  > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
                  looking for those little
                  > >external switches to connect classics up to the
                  cable inputs of "standard"
                  > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
                  one place that had them for
                  > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                  > >
                  > >Thanks for any help.
                  > >
                  > >Kelly
                  > >

                  > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                  >
                  > Froogle is your friend.
                  >
                  > Joe

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Alfred L. Byrne
                • Kelly Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                    I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
                    even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

                    Thanks for the input,
                    Kelly
                  • Bryan Pope
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                      > I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
                      > even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

                      I have used this adapter on my Atari 2600 and it works great!

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan
                    • Degnan
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                        OK
                        Bill

                        At Thursday, 2 February 2006, you wrote:

                        >I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that
                        price,
                        >even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.
                        >
                        >Thanks for the input,
                        >Kelly
                        >
                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        -- E N D --
                      • chrism3667
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                          O man, what puter are we talking about here? If it doesn't put out
                          channel 3 (or 4 did some I think), you will need a modulator. That
                          adapter thing is only that. No, no TV over the last probably 20 years
                          has had rabbit ear inputs. I simply stated it for edumucational
                          poiposes.

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                            2600 is my application as well.

                            With the old RF modulator, the games appeared on my TV with lots of
                            static and warped images. Then I plugged in the coax adapter instead
                            and 99% of the problems were solved.

                            Not to sound like an infomercial, but these things really do work!!

                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                              I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
                              game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
                              usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
                              newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
                              with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
                              co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
                              shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
                              be done with it.
                              Bill D

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                                Joe,

                                If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
                                - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
                                channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

                                > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                >
                                > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
                                > little
                                > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
                                > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
                                > for
                                > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                                > >
                                > >Thanks for any help.
                                > >
                                > >Kelly
                                > >

                                > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                                >
                                > Froogle is your friend.
                                >
                                > Joe

                              • Evan
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                                  Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

                                  Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

                                  <starbase89@...> wrote:
                                  > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
                                  looking for those little
                                  > >external switches to connect classics up to the
                                  cable inputs of "standard"
                                  > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
                                  one place that had them for
                                  > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                                  > >
                                  > >Thanks for any help.
                                  > >
                                  > >Kelly
                                  > >

                                  > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                                  >
                                  > Froogle is your friend.
                                  >
                                  > Joe

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                                  Alfred L. Byrne
                                • Bob Applegate
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                    There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
                                    are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
                                    generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
                                    PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

                                    Bob

                                    Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

                                    > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
                                    > thread late.  :)
                                    >
                                    > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
                                    > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
                                    > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                                    > group.)
                                    >

                                    > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                    > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
                                    > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
                                    > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                                    > Looking for RF modulators
                                    >
                                    > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                                    > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                                    > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
                                    > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > what
                                    > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
                                    > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
                                    > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
                                    > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
                                    > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
                                    > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
                                    > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
                                    > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
                                    > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
                                    > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
                                    > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
                                    > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
                                    > >  > >>
                                    >

                                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                    >

                                    >  Visit your group "

                                    ___________________________________
                                    NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                                  • Alfred Byrne
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                      Hi Everyone,
                                      Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
                                      Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
                                      the group section for Tandy related information. I
                                      have
                                      a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
                                      Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
                                      286-16mhz
                                      system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
                                      Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

                                      the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
                                      I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
                                      Windows
                                      and Linux, Z80 to p4.

                                      --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                                      > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
                                      > must've joined this thread
                                      > late. :)
                                      >
                                      > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
                                      > before. Please introduce
                                      > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
                                      > all are welcome here but
                                      > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                                      > group.)
                                      >
                                      > _____

                                      =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                                      > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                                      2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                                      > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                                      2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                                      > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                                      > Field

                                      ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                                      > SwdHWZfg> trip
                                      >
                                      > _____
                                      >
                                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                      >

                                      > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                                      > on the web.

                                      > Yahoo! Terms of Service
                                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                      >

                                      > _____

                                      Alfred L. Byrne
                                    • Alfred Byrne
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                        Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                                        shin-dig.

                                        Alfred L. Byrne