Infoage

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
      The storm eye is now passing over infoage
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
        No, that was at 8am.
        It's in NYC now
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
          "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

          >The storm eye is now passing over infoage

          Pfft! Irene, the over-hyped non-event of the summer. Lots and lots of rain
          but she was nothing as severe as the tornadic storm that hit here one month
          ago tomorrow. We didn't even lose power and northern Ocean country was the
          only area which was under a Tornado warning as she blew in in the wee hours
          this morning.

          The only thing that blew more than Irene was the news hype! ;)

          Happily, I'm glad that she was nothing. Save for flooding, most everything
          is still standing.
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
            Amazingly I woke up with working electricity. My whole house is dry, and just a few branches fell down.

            But my house is on a hill.

            Rest of the development has it much worse. Several streets around me are under two to six feet of water. Evacuations, flooded homes, cars ruined, rescue boats everywhere.
          • Bob Schwier
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
              I lucked out too.  To the west, Darby was flooded out.  To the east, there was real
              damage in West Philadelphia.  the storm saved me the hassle of refilling my pool.
              bs

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@...> writes:

                >I lucked out too.=C2=A0 To the west, Darby was flooded out.=C2=A0 To the
                >ea= st, there was real damage in West Philadelphia.=C2=A0 the storm
                >saved me the hassle of refilli= ng my pool. bs

                LOL. Get some pH+ and Alk. booster in there ASAP or you'll be spending
                a bundle to get rid of cloud in a few days when the sun's back out.

                West Philly is low and flat. That's the problem with storms like this.
                The water is going to seek level and that's typically the lowest level.
              • Bob Schwier
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                  Baking soda is in the garage.
                  It's already quite cloudy as one of the places I have to pull branches from is in the pool.
                  I'll wait for the final part of the storm before testing though.
                  bs

                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                    This is the third Dell Laptop I've had to fail this way.  This one is a Latitude D610 the others
                    are an Inspiron B100 and an earlier Latitude.
                    What happens would look like a power supply problem if it had an onboard power supply.
                    The on light comes on as long as one keeps one's finger on the button and then blinks out.
                    There is no fan noise.
                    When the Inspiron was working I tested the powersupply from the older Latitude.  It
                    worked.  Hard drives were readable on another machine.
                    Right now I've got the Inspiron in pieces trying to make sense of the way it's put
                    together.  I finally got to the fan because I remember someone saying that a bad fan
                    motor would cause the machine to fail.
                    bs

                  • madodel
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                      On 08/28/11 10:53, system@... wrote:
                      > "Evan Koblentz"<evan@...> writes:
                      >
                      >> The storm eye is now passing over infoage
                      >
                      > Pfft! Irene, the over-hyped non-event of the summer. Lots and lots of rain
                      > but she was nothing as severe as the tornadic storm that hit here one month
                      > ago tomorrow. We didn't even lose power and northern Ocean country was the
                      > only area which was under a Tornado warning as she blew in in the wee hours
                      > this morning.
                      >
                      > The only thing that blew more than Irene was the news hype! ;)
                      >
                      > Happily, I'm glad that she was nothing. Save for flooding, most everything
                      > is still standing.

                      Yeah it looks like the Jersey Shore (the real one, not the idiot TV show)
                      dodged a bullet. What is funny is a lot of NY and NJ folks came to the
                      Poconos to get away from the storm. The news said yesterday all the
                      motel/hotels here were booked. So we end up having a lot of flooded roads,
                      trees down everywhere and a few places being evacuated. The rain has
                      stopped but the winds are picking up again and the electricity keeps going
                      out, but so far only briefly. One never knows what to expect. At least we
                      aren't seeing the damage that seems to have been caused by Irene down in
                      NC, VA and Delaware. Hope you guys down there are all safe.

                      Mark
                    • Christopher Blackmon
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                        We in North Carolina apologize to ya'll in New England for slowing down and weakening Irene
                        so that it wasn't as much fun.  :-)

                        Christopher.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                          Pity the "Jersey Shore" show didn't take a bullet.  Christie should sue that show and
                          "Real Housewives of New Jersey" for slander against his state.  We should all sue
                          reality TV for making us Americans look like shallow, materialistic idiots to the rest of
                          the world.
                          I understand that the cast of "Jersey Shore" aren't exactly impressing real Italians
                          these days.
                          bs

                          >> The storm eye is now passing over infoage
                          >
                          > Pfft! Irene, the over-hyped non-event of the summer. Lots and lots of rain
                          > but she was nothing as severe as the tornadic storm that hit here one month
                          > ago tomorrow. We didn't even lose power and northern Ocean country was the
                          > only area which was under a Tornado warning as she blew in in the wee hours
                          > this morning.
                          >
                          > The only thing that blew more than Irene was the news hype! ;)
                          >
                          > Happily, I'm glad that she was nothing. Save for flooding, most everything
                          > is still standing.

                          Yeah it looks like the Jersey Shore (the real one, not the idiot TV show)
                          dodged a bullet. What is funny is a lot of NY and NJ folks came to the
                          Poconos to get away from the storm. The news said yesterday all the
                          motel/hotels here were booked. So we end up having a lot of flooded roads,
                          trees down everywhere and a few places being evacuated. The rain has
                          stopped but the winds are picking up again and the electricity keeps going
                          out, but so far only briefly. One never knows what to expect. At least we
                          aren't seeing the damage that seems to have been caused by Irene down in
                          NC, VA and Delaware. Hope you guys down there are all safe.

                          Mark

                        • Timothy Fagan
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                            We're always ruining the party! :-)

                            What part of NC are you in Chris? I'm in Winston Salem.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                              Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@...> writes:

                              >Pity the "Jersey Shore" show didn't take a bullet.=C2=A0 Christie should
                              >su= e that show and "Real Housewives of New Jersey" for slander against
                              >his state.=C2=A0 We sho= uld all sue reality TV for making us Americans
                              >look like shallow, materialistic idiots = to the rest of the
                              >world.=C2=A0=20 I understand that the cast of "Jersey Shore" aren't
                              >exactly impressing real= Italians these days. bs

                              Lawsuits are not an answer unless the question is, "how do you make lawyers
                              wealthy?"
                            • Christopher Blackmon
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                                Garner, just SE of Raleigh.

                                cb

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                                  On 08/28/2011 02:58 PM, Bob Schwier wrote:
                                  > Pity the "Jersey Shore" show didn't take a bullet. Christie should sue
                                  > that show and
                                  > "Real Housewives of New Jersey" for slander against his state. We should
                                  > all sue
                                  > reality TV for making us Americans look like shallow, materialistic
                                  > idiots to the rest of the world.

                                  Trouble is, the vast majority of us actually *are*. :-(

                                  > I understand that the cast of "Jersey Shore" aren't exactly impressing
                                  > real Italians these days.

                                  Definitely not.

                                  Dave McGuire
                                  Port Charlotte, FL
                                • Jeffrey Brace
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                                      On 08/28/2011 10:53 AM, system@... wrote:
                                      > "Evan Koblentz"<evan@...> writes:
                                      >
                                      >> The storm eye is now passing over infoage
                                      >
                                      > Pfft! Irene, the over-hyped non-event of the summer. Lots and lots of rain
                                      > but she was nothing as severe as the tornadic storm that hit here one month
                                      > ago tomorrow. We didn't even lose power and northern Ocean country was the
                                      > only area which was under a Tornado warning as she blew in in the wee hours
                                      > this morning.
                                      >
                                      > The only thing that blew more than Irene was the news hype! ;)
                                      >
                                      > Happily, I'm glad that she was nothing. Save for flooding, most everything
                                      > is still standing.

                                      Yup, it was ALL hype.

                                      ...with fifteen dead, three million without power, widespread
                                      flooding in coastal areas of eight states, and public transit in the
                                      country's largest city shut down.

                                      Nothing but hype!

                                      Dave McGuire
                                      Port Charlotte, FL
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                                        On 08/28/2011 11:16 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                        > Amazingly I woke up with working electricity. My whole house is dry, and just a few branches fell down.
                                        >
                                        > But my house is on a hill.
                                        >
                                        > Rest of the development has it much worse. Several streets around me are under two to six feet of water. Evacuations, flooded homes, cars ruined, rescue boats everywhere.

                                        Nah, don't worry. None of that actually happened. Remember, it was
                                        all hype.

                                        Dave McGuire
                                        Port Charlotte, FL
                                      • Bob Schwier
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                                          Think of the casualty rates for hurricanes in the old days.  Compare the one in the
                                          19th Century that hit Galveston to Katrina and remember that because of state of the
                                          art, Katrina didn't have to be that bad.  I remember going to the beach in 1970 to be
                                          surprised by a hurricane for our journey home.  This one if it took the same course
                                          before 1950 would have caused a lot more death and destruction.
                                          bs

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                                            On 08/28/2011 03:55 PM, Bob Schwier wrote:
                                            > Think of the casualty rates for hurricanes in the old days. Compare the
                                            > one in the
                                            > 19th Century that hit Galveston to Katrina and remember that because of
                                            > state of the
                                            > art, Katrina didn't have to be that bad. I remember going to the beach
                                            > in 1970 to be
                                            > surprised by a hurricane for our journey home. This one if it took the
                                            > same course
                                            > before 1950 would have caused a lot more death and destruction.

                                            Yes, agreed 100%. Katrina *definitely* didn't have to be that bad.
                                            I did about two months of relief work in Louisiana after Katrina, spread
                                            across two trips. For the first month, there was no gov't support to be
                                            seen anywhere for a long while. The biggest FEMA facility was just
                                            getting set up as my first trip was wrapping up to leave!

                                            It was certainly illustrative of just how little our gov't cared
                                            about certain "classes" of people. (read: poor, black) It really made
                                            me sick.

                                            Dave McGuire
                                            Port Charlotte, FL
                                          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                                              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                              >On 08/28/2011 10:53 AM, system@... wrote: > "Evan
                                              >Koblentz"<evan@...> writes: > >> The storm eye is now passing
                                              >over infoage > > Pfft! Irene, the over-hyped non-event of the summer.
                                              >Lots and lots of rain > but she was nothing as severe as the tornadic
                                              >storm that hit here one month > ago tomorrow. We didn't even lose power
                                              >and northern Ocean country was the > only area which was under a Tornado
                                              >warning as she blew in in the wee hours > this morning. > > The only
                                              >thing that blew more than Irene was the news hype! ;) > > Happily, I'm
                                              >glad that she was nothing. Save for flooding, most everything > is
                                              >still standing.
                                              >
                                              > Yup, it was ALL hype.
                                              >
                                              > ...with fifteen dead, three million without power, widespread
                                              >flooding in coastal areas of eight states, and public transit in the
                                              >country's largest city shut down.

                                              Are you counting the guy who had the heart attack or the several destined-
                                              to-be" nominees for this year's Darwin awards in that figure? People were
                                              warned with certainly far more warning than we got for the storm that hit
                                              here one month ago.

                                              We had 20,000 without power for days from a freak storm that blew through
                                              Northern Ocean County on the 29th of July. Far more carnage too than was
                                              caused by Irene. I'm happy noone got upset about that. Divvy that figure
                                              into your three million and it doesn't seem as if that number -- seeing as
                                              Irene affected how many more states with how many more counties -- is all
                                              that significant. NYC's subways flood out all the time. It's not hard to
                                              figure out if one considers that water tends to seek both a level and the
                                              lowest level. NYer's will get over it. 9/11 has given them thicker skin.

                                              I remember a nor'easter back when I worked in Hoboken. The Path station
                                              saw water up to almost the top of the stairs on the Hoboken side. Pumps
                                              were installed in these underground transit holes for a reason!

                                              > Nothing but hype!

                                              In a relative way, yes.

                                              Hey, I made it through a "tough slog", whatever that's supposed to mean.

                                              Anyway, I rode it out...
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
                                                On 08/28/2011 05:12 PM, system@... wrote:
                                                >> Yup, it was ALL hype.
                                                >>
                                                >> ...with fifteen dead, three million without power, widespread
                                                >> flooding in coastal areas of eight states, and public transit in the
                                                >> country's largest city shut down.
                                                >
                                                > Are you counting the guy who had the heart attack or the several destined-
                                                > to-be" nominees for this year's Darwin awards in that figure?

                                                Oh, you mean the "SURF'S UP, DUUUUDE!" idiots who seem to think that
                                                surfing during a hurricane is a good idea? I'm right there with you on
                                                that. I laughed my ass off when I read about those morons. There was a
                                                time when I'd have been sad about it, but...that time has passed. Some
                                                people are just too damn stupid.

                                                > People were
                                                > warned with certainly far more warning than we got for the storm that hit
                                                > here one month ago.

                                                Absolutely. I remember that monstrosity.

                                                >> Nothing but hype!
                                                >
                                                > In a relative way, yes.
                                                >
                                                > Hey, I made it through a "tough slog", whatever that's supposed to mean.
                                                >
                                                > Anyway, I rode it out...

                                                Wel...I'm glad to hear you're ok.

                                                Dave McGuire
                                                Port Charlotte, FL
                                              • Alexey Toptygin
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 29, 2011
                                                  On Sun, 28 Aug 2011, Christopher Blackmon wrote:

                                                  > Garner, just SE of Raleigh.

                                                  Didn't realize there was anyone else near me: I'm in Raleigh, a block away
                                                  from the border with Cary.

                                                  Alexey