Looking for RF modulators

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
      At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those little
      external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
      TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them for
      $4.95 each. Can't find it again.

      Thanks for any help.

      Kelly
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
        Kelly Leavitt wrote:

        >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those little
        >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
        >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them for
        >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
        >
        >Thanks for any help.
        >
        >Kelly

        http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html

        Froogle is your friend.

        Joe
      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
          what do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnt
          have cable inputs. You connected cable to the antenna
          jacks by way of an impedance matcher/adapter.
          Depending on what classic yer talking about, you dont
          need modulation, just a switch (those switches may
          also convert 75 to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64
          output channel 3 through the rca jack, carrierless
          composite video through the round din connector.
          --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          <starbase89@...> wrote:
          > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
          >
          > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
          looking for those little
          > >external switches to connect classics up to the
          cable inputs of "standard"
          > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
          one place that had them for
          > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
          > >
          > >Thanks for any help.
          > >
          > >Kelly
          > >

          > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
          >
          > Froogle is your friend.
          >
          > Joe

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Gene Ehrich
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
            At 09:04 PM 2/1/2006, you wrote:
            >Kelly Leavitt wrote:
            >
            > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those little
            > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
            > >TVs.

            Here's one on e-bay with no bids yet and starting bid of $3.85

            <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8758792448&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT>TI-99/4A
            UM1381-1 Video Modulator NEW TI
            99/4A<http://payments.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EmitSellerShippingCalculator&itemId=8758792448>
            --

            Also these from http://www.voicenet.com/~generic/

            TI-99/4A Modulator UM1381-1 (56) NEW (3 for $15).... $ 7
            TI Home Computer 99/4A Cassette Cable NEW
            Model # PHA 2622 (18) (3 for $15)................ $ 7
            TI Home Computer 99/4A Dual Cassette Cable NEW one
            w/2 leads 1/with 3 PHA 2000 (16) (3 for $15)..... $ 7

            > Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them for
            > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
            > >
            > >Thanks for any help.
            > >
            > >Kelly
            > >
            > ><http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html>http://www.baysoftgames
            > com/rfswitch.html
            >
            >Froogle is your friend.
            >
            >Joe

            > *
            >

            >----------
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
              RF switches suck.  You get a MUCH better picture with this:

              were called. I'm looking for those little
              >external switches to connect
              classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
              >TVs. Any sources for the
              old style ones? I found one place that had them for
              >$4.95 each. Can't
              find it again.

              >Thanks for any
              help.

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
                Evan wrote:
                RF switches suck.  You get a MUCH better picture with this:
                Radioshack has the same thing, but, as always, its more expensive. Only advantage is if you don't want to wait for shipping.

              • Degnan
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
                  I have a box full of miscellaneous "computer to tv" units with the
                  "computer" and "antenna" switches. Please specify the jack ends/impedience
                  or whatever, etc. Are you trying to hook this to a tv with a newer
                  cable connector, or a tv with the old fashioned antenna connectors
                  like Chris was referring to?
                  Bill D

                  At Wednesday, 1 February 2006, you wrote:

                  >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
                  little
                  >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of
                  "standard"
                  >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that
                  had them for
                  >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                  >
                  >Thanks for any help.
                  >
                  >Kelly
                  >
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  -- E N D --
                • Alfred Byrne
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                    connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                    you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.

                    <starbase89@...> wrote:
                    > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                    >
                    > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
                    looking for those little
                    > >external switches to connect classics up to the
                    cable inputs of "standard"
                    > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
                    one place that had them for
                    > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                    > >
                    > >Thanks for any help.
                    > >
                    > >Kelly
                    > >

                    > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                    >
                    > Froogle is your friend.
                    >
                    > Joe

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    Alfred L. Byrne
                  • Kelly Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                      I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
                      even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

                      Thanks for the input,
                      Kelly
                    • Bryan Pope
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                        Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                        > I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
                        > even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

                        I have used this adapter on my Atari 2600 and it works great!

                        Cheers,

                        Bryan
                      • Degnan
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                          OK
                          Bill

                          At Thursday, 2 February 2006, you wrote:

                          >I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that
                          price,
                          >even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.
                          >
                          >Thanks for the input,
                          >Kelly
                          >
                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          -- E N D --
                        • chrism3667
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                            O man, what puter are we talking about here? If it doesn't put out
                            channel 3 (or 4 did some I think), you will need a modulator. That
                            adapter thing is only that. No, no TV over the last probably 20 years
                            has had rabbit ear inputs. I simply stated it for edumucational
                            poiposes.

                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                              2600 is my application as well.

                              With the old RF modulator, the games appeared on my TV with lots of
                              static and warped images. Then I plugged in the coax adapter instead
                              and 99% of the problems were solved.

                              Not to sound like an infomercial, but these things really do work!!

                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                                I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
                                game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
                                usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
                                newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
                                with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
                                co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
                                shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
                                be done with it.
                                Bill D

                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                                  Joe,

                                  If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
                                  - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
                                  channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

                                  > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
                                  > little
                                  > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
                                  > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
                                  > for
                                  > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                                  > >
                                  > >Thanks for any help.
                                  > >
                                  > >Kelly
                                  > >

                                  > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                                  >
                                  > Froogle is your friend.
                                  >
                                  > Joe

                                • Evan
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                                    Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

                                    Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

                                    <starbase89@...> wrote:
                                    > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                    >
                                    > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
                                    looking for those little
                                    > >external switches to connect classics up to the
                                    cable inputs of "standard"
                                    > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
                                    one place that had them for
                                    > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                                    > >
                                    > >Thanks for any help.
                                    > >
                                    > >Kelly
                                    > >

                                    > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                                    >
                                    > Froogle is your friend.
                                    >
                                    > Joe

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                                    Alfred L. Byrne
                                  • Bob Applegate
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                      There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
                                      are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
                                      generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
                                      PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

                                      Bob

                                      Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

                                      > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
                                      > thread late.  :)
                                      >
                                      > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
                                      > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
                                      > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                                      > group.)
                                      >

                                      > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                      > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
                                      > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
                                      > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                                      > Looking for RF modulators
                                      >
                                      > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                                      > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                                      > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
                                      > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > what
                                      > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
                                      > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
                                      > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
                                      > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
                                      > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
                                      > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
                                      > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
                                      > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
                                      > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
                                      > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
                                      > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
                                      > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
                                      > >  > >>
                                      >

                                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                      >

                                      >  Visit your group "

                                      ___________________________________
                                      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                                    • Alfred Byrne
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                        Hi Everyone,
                                        Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
                                        Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
                                        the group section for Tandy related information. I
                                        have
                                        a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
                                        Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
                                        286-16mhz
                                        system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
                                        Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

                                        the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
                                        I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
                                        Windows
                                        and Linux, Z80 to p4.

                                        --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                                        > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
                                        > must've joined this thread
                                        > late. :)
                                        >
                                        > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
                                        > before. Please introduce
                                        > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
                                        > all are welcome here but
                                        > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                                        > group.)
                                        >
                                        > _____

                                        =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                                        > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                                        2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                                        > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                                        2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                                        > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                                        > Field

                                        ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                                        > SwdHWZfg> trip
                                        >
                                        > _____
                                        >
                                        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                        >

                                        > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                                        > on the web.

                                        > Yahoo! Terms of Service
                                        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                        >

                                        > _____

                                        Alfred L. Byrne
                                      • Alfred Byrne
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                          Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                                          shin-dig.

                                          Alfred L. Byrne