Interesting Commodore BASIC competition

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2011
      The guy who created this competition says:

      As you all know, the use of GOTO is frowned upon by all right thinking programmers. [1] http://xkcd.com/292/

      So I am running a competition to see who can create the best C64 application without GOTO

      1) no use of USR,SYS, RUN,GOTO or IF/THEN<linenumber>
      2) all code must fit on the screen when you do a LIST (which means you have up to 23 screen lines of code - READY / new line will take up the last 2 lines)
      3) it must be possible to type in your program from a LISTing (i.e. no m/l appended to the end of a BASIC file)
      4) program must scroll the text "GOTO CONSIDERED HARMFUL" continuously until a key is pressed
      5) anything not specifically prohibited is allowed.

      I won’t have time to do this, but it’s kind of a fun idea !

      Jeff3 Brace

    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 25, 2011

        The guy who created this competition says:

        As you all know, the use of GOTO is frowned upon by all right thinking programmers. [1] http://xkcd.com/292/

        So I am running a competition to see who can create the best C64 application without GOTO

        1) no use of USR,SYS, RUN,GOTO or IF/THEN<linenumber>
        2) all code must fit on the screen when you do a LIST (which means you have up to 23 screen lines of code - READY / new line will take up the last 2 lines)
        3) it must be possible to type in your program from a LISTing (i.e. no m/l appended to the end of a BASIC file)
        4) program must scroll the text "GOTO CONSIDERED HARMFUL" continuously until a key is pressed
        5) anything not specifically prohibited is allowed.

        I won’t have time to do this, but it’s kind of a fun idea !

        Jeff3 Brace

        No virus found in this message.