Paper tape mystery

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2011
      I have 5 paper tapes which appear to have some sort of data on them,
      but very few clues as to what they are. They're punched on HP paper tape,
      with block letters on the leader as a label:

      ZUKOW-013232
      ZUKOW-023232
      ZUKOW-033232
      ZUKOW-112111
      ZUKOW-122111

      On reading them in (GNT 4601 reader/punch), they contain a series of
      (ASCII) numbers, separated by "color" headers. The files can be
      downloaded from my server (each file is between 1200-1300 characters):

      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/PT/ZUKOW-013232
      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/PT/ZUKOW-023232
      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/PT/ZUKOW-033232
      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/PT/ZUKOW-112111
      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/PT/ZUKOW-122111

      Any ideas on what they represent?

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Alexey Toptygin
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2011
        On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, Mike Loewen wrote:

        > I have 5 paper tapes which appear to have some sort of data on them,
        > but very few clues as to what they are. They're punched on HP paper tape,
        > with block letters on the leader as a label:
        >
        > ZUKOW-013232
        > ZUKOW-023232
        > ZUKOW-033232
        > ZUKOW-112111
        > ZUKOW-122111
        >
        > On reading them in (GNT 4601 reader/punch), they contain a series of
        > (ASCII) numbers, separated by "color" headers. The files can be
        > downloaded from my server (each file is between 1200-1300 characters):
        >
        > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/PT/ZUKOW-013232

        I looked at this one. The numbers in each color section appear to be
        randomly distributed in a distribution with a single 'hump' - perhaps a
        normal distribution? The means and standard deviations of all 5 sections
        are similar.

        Is this someone's data set, or perhaps statistics homework? The results of
        a monte carlo simulation of some process? Grades (out of 1000 points) for
        class sections of 45-48 students each? I doubt you'll be able to figure it
        out without more context. Who is Zukow and where did you get these tapes?

        Alexey
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2011
          On Thu, 25 Aug 2011, Alexey Toptygin wrote:

          >> On reading them in (GNT 4601 reader/punch), they contain a series of
          >> (ASCII) numbers, separated by "color" headers. The files can be
          >> downloaded from my server (each file is between 1200-1300 characters):
          >>
          >> http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/PT/ZUKOW-013232
          >
          > I looked at this one. The numbers in each color section appear to be
          > randomly distributed in a distribution with a single 'hump' - perhaps a
          > normal distribution? The means and standard deviations of all 5 sections
          > are similar.
          >
          > Is this someone's data set, or perhaps statistics homework? The results of
          > a monte carlo simulation of some process? Grades (out of 1000 points) for
          > class sections of 45-48 students each? I doubt you'll be able to figure it
          > out without more context. Who is Zukow and where did you get these tapes?

          I don't know Zukow, although there are lots of web hits. :-) I picked
          these up on a whim from Ebay.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 30, 2011
            Zukow-Goldring is apparently a psychology researcher of infants'
            by color. So Web searches of Zukow and colors names find publications
            citing this researcher. Since these are academic publications, the actual content of these papers can't be read online except with
            registration. That's all I could find.

            It's possible these tapes are from some old psychology lab that still used paper tape to record data. I know first-hand such technology was in use in the 70's and 80's. Check the distribution of values to see if they are statistical and if the mean "means" anything.

            Herb