RE: [midatlanticretro] This is cool!

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
      shoot me if I am wrong, but I believe from memory it's:

      IBM 5100
      Osborne
      Kaypro
      IBM 5151
      Compaq model ??

      ready aim fire!

      Bill D

      At 02:18 PM 2/1/2006 -0500, you wrote:
      Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

      Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
        Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

        > >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
        >
        > >>Osborne.

        I'm guessing:

        1) Osborne (CP/M)
        2) Kaypro (CP/M)
        3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
        4) IBM (MS-DOS)

        But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

        > > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's
        > luggable.
        >
        > I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.
        >
        > Peace... Sridhar

        > Vintage

        =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
        > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

        2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
        > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

        2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
        > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
        > Field

        ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
        > SwdHWZfg> trip
        >
        > _____
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >

        > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

        > Service
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        >

        > _____

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
          Bob Grieb wrote:
          > Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

          > I'm guessing:
          >
          > 1) Osborne (CP/M)
          > 2) Kaypro (CP/M)
          > 3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
          > 4) IBM (MS-DOS)
          >
          > But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

          Let's not forget the IBM 5100 portable in 1975.

          Peace... Sridhar
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
            David and Jeff,

            Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
            my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
              Kelly,

              I recently "discovered" that I have two Tandy 600's. You can have one which
              I'll bring down on my next trip. At least one of these worked a few years
              ago. I do not know their current condition.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                Evan,

                The Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced both
                CP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable PCompatible.

                Jim

                --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.
                >
                > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                > first? (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book. I keep hoping my
                > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)
                >

                > _____

              • Greg N Shari
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                  So where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of things?

                  Greg

                  --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

                  > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                  > first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my
                  > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

                  >   _____

                • David Gesswein
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                    > David and Jeff,
                    >
                    > Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                    > my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                    PDP-8's don't have much support for networking. The primary console will
                    be my ASR-33 teletype. If I get the second serial port setup and
                    can get one of the multi user edusystems working I will also bring
                    a VT52.
                  • Degnan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                      first color laptop
                      bill d

                      At Saturday, 4 February 2006, you wrote:

                      >So
                      >where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of
                      >things?

                      >Greg
                      >
                      > -----Original Message-----From:
                      > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                      > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Jim
                      > ScheefSent: Friday, February 03, 2006 12:49 PMTo:
                      > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro]
                      > This is cool! - Luggable historyEvan,The
                      > Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced
                      > bothCP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable
                      > PCompatible.Jim--- Evan <evan947@...>
                      > wrote:> Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to
                      > MARCH-owned system.>  > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM,
                      > Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came> first?  (I really need to
                      > get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my> copy will turn
                      > up but it's still lost.)>  > >
                      > _____  > > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                      sig=yQK66sIa>
                      > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer
                      > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                      sig=bvgAN5E>
                      > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security
                      > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                      sig=E3VSZZU>
                      > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training       >
                      > Field><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Field+trip&w1=Vintage+computer&w2=Compu>ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                      sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL>
                      > SwdHWZfg> trip       > >
                      > _____  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS > > >
                      >       > *      Visit
                      > your group "midatlanticretro> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro>

                      > " on the web.>   > >
                      > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                      > to:>  midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>

                      > >   > > *      Your
                      > use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service>
                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                      > Vintage computer
                      >
                      > Computer security
                      >
                      > Computer training