RE: [midatlanticretro] This is cool!

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
      Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

      Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
        shoot me if I am wrong, but I believe from memory it's:

        IBM 5100
        Osborne
        Kaypro
        IBM 5151
        Compaq model ??

        ready aim fire!

        Bill D

        At 02:18 PM 2/1/2006 -0500, you wrote:
        Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

        Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

        >>1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
        >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
        >>Osborne.
        >
        > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

        I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.

        Peace...  Sridhar

        Vintage computer Computer security Computer training
        Field trip

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Bob Grieb
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
          Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

          > >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
          >
          > >>Osborne.

          I'm guessing:

          1) Osborne (CP/M)
          2) Kaypro (CP/M)
          3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
          4) IBM (MS-DOS)

          But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

          > > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's
          > luggable.
          >
          > I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.
          >
          > Peace... Sridhar

          > Vintage

          =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
          > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

          2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
          > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

          2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
          > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
          > Field

          ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
          > SwdHWZfg> trip
          >
          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

          > Service
          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          >

          > _____

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
            Bob Grieb wrote:
            > Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

            > I'm guessing:
            >
            > 1) Osborne (CP/M)
            > 2) Kaypro (CP/M)
            > 3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
            > 4) IBM (MS-DOS)
            >
            > But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

            Let's not forget the IBM 5100 portable in 1975.

            Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
              David and Jeff,

              Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
              my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                Kelly,

                I recently "discovered" that I have two Tandy 600's. You can have one which
                I'll bring down on my next trip. At least one of these worked a few years
                ago. I do not know their current condition.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Evan,

                  The Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced both
                  CP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable PCompatible.

                  Jim

                  --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.
                  >
                  > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                  > first? (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book. I keep hoping my
                  > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)
                  >

                  > _____

                • Greg N Shari
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                    So where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of things?

                    Greg

                    --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

                    > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                    > first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my
                    > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

                    >   _____

                  • David Gesswein
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                      > David and Jeff,
                      >
                      > Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                      > my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                      PDP-8's don't have much support for networking. The primary console will
                      be my ASR-33 teletype. If I get the second serial port setup and
                      can get one of the multi user edusystems working I will also bring
                      a VT52.
                    • Degnan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                        first color laptop
                        bill d

                        At Saturday, 4 February 2006, you wrote:

                        >So
                        >where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of
                        >things?

                        >Greg
                        >
                        > -----Original Message-----From:
                        > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                        > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Jim
                        > ScheefSent: Friday, February 03, 2006 12:49 PMTo:
                        > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro]
                        > This is cool! - Luggable historyEvan,The
                        > Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced
                        > bothCP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable
                        > PCompatible.Jim--- Evan <evan947@...>
                        > wrote:> Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to
                        > MARCH-owned system.>  > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM,
                        > Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came> first?  (I really need to
                        > get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my> copy will turn
                        > up but it's still lost.)>  > >
                        > _____  > > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                        sig=yQK66sIa>
                        > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer
                        > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                        sig=bvgAN5E>
                        > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security
                        > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                        sig=E3VSZZU>
                        > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training       >
                        > Field><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Field+trip&w1=Vintage+computer&w2=Compu>ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                        sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL>
                        > SwdHWZfg> trip       > >
                        > _____  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS > > >
                        >       > *      Visit
                        > your group "midatlanticretro> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro>

                        > " on the web.>   > >
                        > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                        > to:>  midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>

                        > >   > > *      Your
                        > use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service>
                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                        > Vintage computer
                        >
                        > Computer security
                        >
                        > Computer training