Paging Rich Cini - bringing your IMSAI?

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
      Rich,
      Does your IMSAI work? I would be interested in seeing it in action,
      especially if you have working disk drives. I too have an IMSAI but it's only semi
      operational (peripheral configuration issues). I was not sure from your
      listing in the TCF database whether you were tenative because you yourself cannot
      make it or the IMSAI may not be running by then.

      I have a lot of disk software for the IMSAI, but it's untested. If you are
      bringing the IMSAI let me know if you'd like me to bring the software I have (5
      1/4" Metropolis-format).

      bill
    • Richard A. Cini, Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2005
        Bill:

        The "tentative" is for several reasons, but primarily machine issues as I
        don't have the space to keep them out and operational all the time. And, to
        top it off, my sister called yesterday and wants to do a party for my
        father's birthday that Saturday.

        Regarding the IMSAI, I actually haven't received the IMSAI itself yet.
        It's coming to me in pieces and the IMSAI and drives should be here in the
        next few days if the person shipped them on the date he said he was (I'm
        trying to confirm this). It's supposedly operational, however.

        More to come...

        Rich

      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2005
          Rich,

          In that case let me know if I can be of service. I have
          disassembled/re-assembled the IMSAI when I did my initial review of the unit, tested it,
          re-soldered the obvious problem spots, took notes etc. about what I needed to do to get
          it up and running. I also have all of the documentation that came with it.
          Other things have been higher on my list and I have not yet really done much
          to restore the computer beyond basic operation. If anything we can compare
          causes and effects. The best way to fix one unit is to compare with another
          working one (which I hope you have). I was planning to resume testing after the
          TCF because I found another Metropolis drive on Ebay to work with.

          Do you have a lot of experience with S-100's? I myself have a lot to learn.
          This is the PC/micro hardware format I know the least about.

          Bill

          In a message dated 4/9/2005 7:56:36 AM Eastern Standard Time, rcini@...
          writes:

          > Bill:
          >
          > The "tentative" is for several reasons, but primarily machine issues as
          > don't have the space to keep them out and operational all the time. And,
          > top it off, my sister called yesterday and wants to do a party for my
          > father's birthday that Saturday.
          >
          > Regarding the IMSAI, I actually haven't received the IMSAI itself yet.
          > It's coming to me in pieces and the IMSAI and drives should be here in the
          > next few days if the person shipped them on the date he said he was (I'm
          > trying to confirm this). It's supposedly operational, however.
          >
          > More to come...
          >
          > Rich
        • Richard A. Cini, Jr.
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2005
            Bill:

            My first computer when I was young was a Commodore (then a Mac, then a PC)
            so direct experience with the S100's is limited. I have a complete, working
            (last time I used) Northstar Horizon system that I tried to restore but I
            wound up sending it to a friend in Rochester for him to fix. Good thing,
            too. There were so many problems with it it would have taken me months to
            swat them down. The guy I got it from made some modifications to it that
            were not documented and generally prevented it from working properly. Plus,
            for whatever reason, he didn't send me a working memory card. It was a trip
            getting it working.

            Rich

          • billdeg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2005

            • billdeg@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2005
                My IMSAI is kind of like that...lots of extra undocumented card wiring. I am
                probably going to need some help as well. What I would really like is a good
                lesson on these things to get me started.
                Bill