Re: [midatlanticretro] Bill D Pics

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
      Very respectable collection Bill. And properly
      maintained. Keep up the good work.

      While on the topic of Commodore stuph, did anyone
      ever hear of the Commodore BX256 or something like
      that. I don't have it in front of me, but there was a
      bit in an old Byte - no pun intended - about an early
      PCish puter by Commodore. I'm not talking about the
      later stuph - the Colt and all that (I don't think).
      Or perhaps it was just a codename for something that
      had yet to come out (like Peanut = PCjr). This was
      fairly early though. Commodore's PC's didn't come out
      until at least '85 as far as I know. I could be wrong
      though...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
        We are talking USA here, there were different names for same B Series
        Commodore machines in Europe.
        The BX256 was never released, but yes it would have run current DOS and
        CP/M86 if it had been released in 1982 or 3. Note that only the hi profile
        B series systems had 256K, and none were sold with an 8088
        co-processor. Technically the model would have been called CBM-256-80BX

        Any B series system with an 8088 coprocessor is a "BX" model.

        There were Commodore labs prototypes 8088 co-processors and some of these
        have escaped the junk heap.

        If you're interested in this topic, my VCF exhibit will be a
        highlight. hint hint.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
          Bill,

          The one picture I looked at was nice - impressive even. How about adding an
          index.htm that displays the pictures to make it easier for lazy people like
          me?

          Jim

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
            jim,
            I have a lot to do with this site. I am in the perpetual uploading
            pictures phase of the project. I have not added any design/html. I will
            this Spring.
            Bill