exhibit ideas

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
      Anyone planning or considering exhibiting an Altair or Cromeco?
      Bill D
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
        Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

        Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
          shoot me if I am wrong, but I believe from memory it's:

          IBM 5100
          Osborne
          Kaypro
          IBM 5151
          Compaq model ??

          ready aim fire!

          Bill D

          At 02:18 PM 2/1/2006 -0500, you wrote:
          Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

          Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

          >>1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
          >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
          >>Osborne.
          >
          > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

          I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.

          Peace...  Sridhar

          Vintage computer Computer security Computer training
          Field trip

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Bob Grieb
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
            Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

            > >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
            >
            > >>Osborne.

            I'm guessing:

            1) Osborne (CP/M)
            2) Kaypro (CP/M)
            3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
            4) IBM (MS-DOS)

            But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

            > > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's
            > luggable.
            >
            > I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.
            >
            > Peace... Sridhar

            > Vintage

            =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
            > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

            2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
            > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

            2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
            > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
            > Field

            ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
            > SwdHWZfg> trip
            >
            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

            > Service
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            >

            > _____

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
              Bob Grieb wrote:
              > Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

              > I'm guessing:
              >
              > 1) Osborne (CP/M)
              > 2) Kaypro (CP/M)
              > 3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
              > 4) IBM (MS-DOS)
              >
              > But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

              Let's not forget the IBM 5100 portable in 1975.

              Peace... Sridhar
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                David and Jeff,

                Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Kelly,

                  I recently "discovered" that I have two Tandy 600's. You can have one which
                  I'll bring down on my next trip. At least one of these worked a few years
                  ago. I do not know their current condition.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Evan,

                    The Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced both
                    CP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable PCompatible.

                    Jim

                    --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.
                    >
                    > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                    > first? (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book. I keep hoping my
                    > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Greg N Shari
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                      So where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of things?

                      Greg

                      --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

                      > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                      > first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my
                      > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

                      >   _____

                    • David Gesswein
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                        > David and Jeff,
                        >
                        > Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                        > my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                        PDP-8's don't have much support for networking. The primary console will
                        be my ASR-33 teletype. If I get the second serial port setup and
                        can get one of the multi user edusystems working I will also bring
                        a VT52.
                      • Degnan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                          first color laptop
                          bill d

                          At Saturday, 4 February 2006, you wrote:

                          >So
                          >where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of
                          >things?

                          >Greg
                          >
                          > -----Original Message-----From:
                          > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                          > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Jim
                          > ScheefSent: Friday, February 03, 2006 12:49 PMTo:
                          > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro]
                          > This is cool! - Luggable historyEvan,The
                          > Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced
                          > bothCP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable
                          > PCompatible.Jim--- Evan <evan947@...>
                          > wrote:> Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to
                          > MARCH-owned system.>  > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM,
                          > Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came> first?  (I really need to
                          > get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my> copy will turn
                          > up but it's still lost.)>  > >
                          > _____  > > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                          sig=yQK66sIa>
                          > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer
                          > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                          sig=bvgAN5E>
                          > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security
                          > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                          sig=E3VSZZU>
                          > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training       >
                          > Field><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Field+trip&w1=Vintage+computer&w2=Compu>ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                          sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL>
                          > SwdHWZfg> trip       > >
                          > _____  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS > > >
                          >       > *      Visit
                          > your group "midatlanticretro> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro>

                          > " on the web.>   > >
                          > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                          > to:>  midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>

                          > >   > > *      Your
                          > use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service>
                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                          > Vintage computer
                          >
                          > Computer security
                          >
                          > Computer training