Just Joined the Group

  • J. Alexander Jacocks
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 17, 2011
      Hello, all.

      Just figured that I would say, "hello", as I just joined the group,
      today. I'm Alex Jacocks, a *nix collector, hobbyist, and a systems
      architect, by profession. I live on the Eastern Shore or Maryland, in
      Queenstown, and my greatest interests are old Sun and DEC *nix
      workstations.

      Anyway, the group sounds quite interesting, and I hope to make it up
      to Jersey, soon.

      - Alex
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 17, 2011
        On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

        > Just figured that I would say, "hello", as I just joined the group,
        > today. I'm Alex Jacocks, a *nix collector, hobbyist, and a systems
        > architect, by profession. I live on the Eastern Shore or Maryland, in
        > Queenstown, and my greatest interests are old Sun and DEC *nix
        > workstations.

        Welcome, Alex. I have some older Sun workstation in my collection, as
        well:

        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Sun/

        They're mostly models I worked with back in the late '80s and early
        '90s. I don't have the 3/60 running yet, but most of the others are
        working.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 17, 2011
          J. Alexander wrote:
          > Hello, all.

          Welcome!

          > I live on the Eastern Shore or Maryland

          There are a couple of us in close to Washington, I'm just outside
          the Beltway. I have some in-laws on the Eastern Shore, maybe we
          can hook up some time when I'm out visiting. Do you ever go
          rummaging in any of those "antique and collectables" shops that
          seem to be all over the place over there? Ever find anything good?

          Bill Sudbrink
        • J. Alexander Jacocks
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 17, 2011
            On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:
            There are a couple of us in close to Washington, I'm just outside
            the Beltway. I have some in-laws on the Eastern Shore, maybe we
            can hook up some time when I'm out visiting. Do you ever go
            rummaging in any of those "antique and collectables" shops that
            seem to be all over the place over there? Ever find anything good?

            Bill,

            No, can't say that I have.  My wife goes to them, on a fairly regular basis, though.  She hasn't mentioned seeing anything interesting (to me, of course), but then, she might not, for fear that I would bring it home.

            Got any places that I should check out?

            - Alex
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 17, 2011
              Alex,
              Where on the Eastern shore?
              Bill

              At 02:50 PM 8/17/2011, you wrote:
              >Hello, all.
              >
              >Just figured that I would say, "hello", as I just joined the group,
              >today. I'm Alex Jacocks, a *nix collector, hobbyist, and a systems
              >architect, by profession. I live on the Eastern Shore or Maryland, in
              >Queenstown, and my greatest interests are old Sun and DEC *nix
              >workstations.
              >
              >Anyway, the group sounds quite interesting, and I hope to make it up
              >to Jersey, soon.
              >
              >- Alex

            • J. Alexander Jacocks
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 17, 2011
                On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 3:46 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                Alex,
                Where on the Eastern shore?

                Bill,

                I'm located in Queenstown, MD.  It's a _very_ small town, just north of the US 50/301 split.

                - Alex
              • Bill Sudbrink
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 17, 2011
                  J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

                  > No, can't say that I have. My wife goes to them, on a fairly regular
                  > basis, though. She hasn't mentioned seeing anything interesting (to me,
                  > of course), but then, she might not, for fear that I would bring it home.
                  >
                  > Got any places that I should check out?

                  No, not at all. As I drive past, I "get the itch". I collect micros so I
                  guess there is a slightly greater chance of something I'm interested being
                  in one of them. I figure the likelihood of something from an original owner
                  is pretty low, considering that agricultural/fishery was the main occupation
                  over your way back in the days that the systems I'm interested in were new,
                  but maybe something that was handed down a couple of times might be out
                  there.
                  (Goodness, what a long sentence!) Also, there seem to be lots of yard sales
                  along the way.

                  Bill
                • Bob Aviles
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 18, 2011
                    Hi Alex,

                     Just want to say hello, and I have old sun equipment as well.

                    Bobby

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 18, 2011
                      On Thu, 18 Aug 2011, Bob Aviles wrote:

                      >  Just want to say hello, and I have old sun equipment as well.

                      Bob:

                      What sort of Sun equipment do you have?

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...