Re: [midatlanticretro] This is cool!

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
      Kelly Leavitt wrote:
      > Evan:
      >

      >>1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
      >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
      >>Osborne.
      >
      > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

      I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.

      Peace... Sridhar
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
        Anyone planning or considering exhibiting an Altair or Cromeco?
        Bill D
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
          Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

          Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
            shoot me if I am wrong, but I believe from memory it's:

            IBM 5100
            Osborne
            Kaypro
            IBM 5151
            Compaq model ??

            ready aim fire!

            Bill D

            At 02:18 PM 2/1/2006 -0500, you wrote:
            Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

            Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

            >>1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
            >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
            >>Osborne.
            >
            > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

            I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.

            Peace...  Sridhar

            Vintage computer Computer security Computer training
            Field trip

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Bob Grieb
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
              Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

              > >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
              >
              > >>Osborne.

              I'm guessing:

              1) Osborne (CP/M)
              2) Kaypro (CP/M)
              3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
              4) IBM (MS-DOS)

              But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

              > > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's
              > luggable.
              >
              > I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.
              >
              > Peace... Sridhar

              > Vintage

              =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
              > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

              2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
              > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

              2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
              > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
              > Field

              ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
              > SwdHWZfg> trip
              >
              > _____
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >

              > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

              > Service
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              >

              > _____

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                Bob Grieb wrote:
                > Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

                > I'm guessing:
                >
                > 1) Osborne (CP/M)
                > 2) Kaypro (CP/M)
                > 3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
                > 4) IBM (MS-DOS)
                >
                > But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

                Let's not forget the IBM 5100 portable in 1975.

                Peace... Sridhar
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                  David and Jeff,

                  Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                  my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Kelly,

                    I recently "discovered" that I have two Tandy 600's. You can have one which
                    I'll bring down on my next trip. At least one of these worked a few years
                    ago. I do not know their current condition.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Evan,

                      The Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced both
                      CP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable PCompatible.

                      Jim

                      --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.
                      >
                      > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                      > first? (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book. I keep hoping my
                      > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)
                      >

                      > _____

                    • Greg N Shari
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                        So where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of things?

                        Greg

                        --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

                        > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                        > first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my
                        > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

                        >   _____

                      • David Gesswein
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                          > David and Jeff,
                          >
                          > Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                          > my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                          PDP-8's don't have much support for networking. The primary console will
                          be my ASR-33 teletype. If I get the second serial port setup and
                          can get one of the multi user edusystems working I will also bring
                          a VT52.
                        • Degnan
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                            first color laptop
                            bill d

                            At Saturday, 4 February 2006, you wrote:

                            >So
                            >where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of
                            >things?

                            >Greg
                            >
                            > -----Original Message-----From:
                            > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Jim
                            > ScheefSent: Friday, February 03, 2006 12:49 PMTo:
                            > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro]
                            > This is cool! - Luggable historyEvan,The
                            > Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced
                            > bothCP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable
                            > PCompatible.Jim--- Evan <evan947@...>
                            > wrote:> Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to
                            > MARCH-owned system.>  > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM,
                            > Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came> first?  (I really need to
                            > get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my> copy will turn
                            > up but it's still lost.)>  > >
                            > _____  > > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                            sig=yQK66sIa>
                            > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer
                            > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                            sig=bvgAN5E>
                            > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security
                            > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                            sig=E3VSZZU>
                            > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training       >
                            > Field><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Field+trip&w1=Vintage+computer&w2=Compu>ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                            sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL>
                            > SwdHWZfg> trip       > >
                            > _____  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS > > >
                            >       > *      Visit
                            > your group "midatlanticretro> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro>

                            > " on the web.>   > >
                            > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                            > to:>  midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>

                            > >   > > *      Your
                            > use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service>
                            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                            > Vintage computer
                            >
                            > Computer security
                            >
                            > Computer training