RE: [midatlanticretro] This is cool!

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
      Evan:

      > 1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
      > Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
      > Osborne.
      I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

      How about a TRS-80 Model 4P. Would you want a TRS-80 100, 102 and 200 also?
      Still trying to get a 600 also, but not yet.

      Kelly
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
        Kelly Leavitt wrote:
        > Evan:
        >

        >>1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
        >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
        >>Osborne.
        >
        > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

        I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.

        Peace... Sridhar
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
          Anyone planning or considering exhibiting an Altair or Cromeco?
          Bill D
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
            Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

            Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
              shoot me if I am wrong, but I believe from memory it's:

              IBM 5100
              Osborne
              Kaypro
              IBM 5151
              Compaq model ??

              ready aim fire!

              Bill D

              At 02:18 PM 2/1/2006 -0500, you wrote:
              Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

              Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

              >>1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
              >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
              >>Osborne.
              >
              > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

              I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.

              Peace...  Sridhar

              Vintage computer Computer security Computer training
              Field trip

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Bob Grieb
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

                > >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
                >
                > >>Osborne.

                I'm guessing:

                1) Osborne (CP/M)
                2) Kaypro (CP/M)
                3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
                4) IBM (MS-DOS)

                But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

                > > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's
                > luggable.
                >
                > I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.
                >
                > Peace... Sridhar

                > Vintage

                =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                > Field

                ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                > SwdHWZfg> trip
                >
                > _____
                >
                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >

                > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                > Service
                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                >

                > _____

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Bob Grieb wrote:
                  > Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

                  > I'm guessing:
                  >
                  > 1) Osborne (CP/M)
                  > 2) Kaypro (CP/M)
                  > 3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
                  > 4) IBM (MS-DOS)
                  >
                  > But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

                  Let's not forget the IBM 5100 portable in 1975.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                    David and Jeff,

                    Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                    my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Kelly,

                      I recently "discovered" that I have two Tandy 600's. You can have one which
                      I'll bring down on my next trip. At least one of these worked a few years
                      ago. I do not know their current condition.

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                        Evan,

                        The Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced both
                        CP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable PCompatible.

                        Jim

                        --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.
                        >
                        > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                        > first? (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book. I keep hoping my
                        > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Greg N Shari
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                          So where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of things?

                          Greg

                          --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

                          > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                          > first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my
                          > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

                          >   _____

                        • David Gesswein
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                            > David and Jeff,
                            >
                            > Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                            > my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                            PDP-8's don't have much support for networking. The primary console will
                            be my ASR-33 teletype. If I get the second serial port setup and
                            can get one of the multi user edusystems working I will also bring
                            a VT52.
                          • Degnan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                              first color laptop
                              bill d

                              At Saturday, 4 February 2006, you wrote:

                              >So
                              >where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of
                              >things?

                              >Greg
                              >
                              > -----Original Message-----From:
                              > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                              > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Jim
                              > ScheefSent: Friday, February 03, 2006 12:49 PMTo:
                              > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro]
                              > This is cool! - Luggable historyEvan,The
                              > Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced
                              > bothCP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable
                              > PCompatible.Jim--- Evan <evan947@...>
                              > wrote:> Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to
                              > MARCH-owned system.>  > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM,
                              > Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came> first?  (I really need to
                              > get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my> copy will turn
                              > up but it's still lost.)>  > >
                              > _____  > > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                              sig=yQK66sIa>
                              > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer
                              > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                              sig=bvgAN5E>
                              > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security
                              > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                              sig=E3VSZZU>
                              > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training       >
                              > Field><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Field+trip&w1=Vintage+computer&w2=Compu>ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                              sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL>
                              > SwdHWZfg> trip       > >
                              > _____  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS > > >
                              >       > *      Visit
                              > your group "midatlanticretro> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro>

                              > " on the web.>   > >
                              > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                              > to:>  midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>

                              > >   > > *      Your
                              > use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service>
                              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                              > Vintage computer
                              >
                              > Computer security
                              >
                              > Computer training