Re: [midatlanticretro] This is cool!

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
      > 4. PDP-8 (David Gesswein)
      > 5. PDP-8/e (Jeffrey Katz)

      Jeffrey, FYI I plan on bringing my 8/I system this year so we shouldn't
      be duplicates. I brought the 8/E last year. What all are you planning to
      bring if you have plans yet?

      > 1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks. Would
      > be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and Osborne. (I
      > already have the necessary laptops.)

      I have a Compaq II which needs some power supply capacitors replaced and a
      III which should be working. If you still need them closer to the event
      bug me again and I will see about getting them ready.
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
        Evan:

        > 1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
        > Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
        > Osborne.
        I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

        How about a TRS-80 Model 4P. Would you want a TRS-80 100, 102 and 200 also?
        Still trying to get a 600 also, but not yet.

        Kelly
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
          Kelly Leavitt wrote:
          > Evan:
          >

          >>1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
          >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
          >>Osborne.
          >
          > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

          I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.

          Peace... Sridhar
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
            Anyone planning or considering exhibiting an Altair or Cromeco?
            Bill D
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
              Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

              Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
                shoot me if I am wrong, but I believe from memory it's:

                IBM 5100
                Osborne
                Kaypro
                IBM 5151
                Compaq model ??

                ready aim fire!

                Bill D

                At 02:18 PM 2/1/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

                Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

                >>1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
                >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
                >>Osborne.
                >
                > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

                I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.

                Peace...  Sridhar

                Vintage computer Computer security Computer training
                Field trip

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • Bob Grieb
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

                  > >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
                  >
                  > >>Osborne.

                  I'm guessing:

                  1) Osborne (CP/M)
                  2) Kaypro (CP/M)
                  3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
                  4) IBM (MS-DOS)

                  But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

                  > > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's
                  > luggable.
                  >
                  > I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.
                  >
                  > Peace... Sridhar

                  > Vintage

                  =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                  > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                  2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                  > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                  2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                  > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                  > Field

                  ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                  > SwdHWZfg> trip
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >

                  > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                  > Service
                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                  >

                  > _____

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Bob Grieb wrote:
                    > Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

                    > I'm guessing:
                    >
                    > 1) Osborne (CP/M)
                    > 2) Kaypro (CP/M)
                    > 3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
                    > 4) IBM (MS-DOS)
                    >
                    > But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

                    Let's not forget the IBM 5100 portable in 1975.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                      David and Jeff,

                      Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                      my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                        Kelly,

                        I recently "discovered" that I have two Tandy 600's. You can have one which
                        I'll bring down on my next trip. At least one of these worked a few years
                        ago. I do not know their current condition.

                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                          Evan,

                          The Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced both
                          CP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable PCompatible.

                          Jim

                          --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.
                          >
                          > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                          > first? (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book. I keep hoping my
                          > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)
                          >

                          > _____

                        • Greg N Shari
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                            So where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of things?

                            Greg

                            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

                            > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                            > first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my
                            > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

                            >   _____

                          • David Gesswein
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                              > David and Jeff,
                              >
                              > Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                              > my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                              PDP-8's don't have much support for networking. The primary console will
                              be my ASR-33 teletype. If I get the second serial port setup and
                              can get one of the multi user edusystems working I will also bring
                              a VT52.
                            • Degnan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                                first color laptop
                                bill d

                                At Saturday, 4 February 2006, you wrote:

                                >So
                                >where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of
                                >things?

                                >Greg
                                >
                                > -----Original Message-----From:
                                > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Jim
                                > ScheefSent: Friday, February 03, 2006 12:49 PMTo:
                                > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro]
                                > This is cool! - Luggable historyEvan,The
                                > Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced
                                > bothCP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable
                                > PCompatible.Jim--- Evan <evan947@...>
                                > wrote:> Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to
                                > MARCH-owned system.>  > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM,
                                > Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came> first?  (I really need to
                                > get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my> copy will turn
                                > up but it's still lost.)>  > >
                                > _____  > > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                                sig=yQK66sIa>
                                > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer
                                > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                                sig=bvgAN5E>
                                > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security
                                > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                                sig=E3VSZZU>
                                > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training       >
                                > Field><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Field+trip&w1=Vintage+computer&w2=Compu>ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                                sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL>
                                > SwdHWZfg> trip       > >
                                > _____  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS > > >
                                >       > *      Visit
                                > your group "midatlanticretro> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro>

                                > " on the web.>   > >
                                > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                                > to:>  midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>

                                > >   > > *      Your
                                > use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service>
                                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                                > Vintage computer
                                >
                                > Computer security
                                >
                                > Computer training