This is cool!

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
      So far there are seven registered VCF East 3.0 exhibitors representing an
      impressive range of interests:

      1. The Atari Museum / Curt Vendel
      2. Ohio Scientific / Single Board Computers (Bill Sudbrink)
      3. Commodore B Series Computer Lab (Bill Degnan)
      4. PDP-8 (David Gesswein)
      5. PDP-8/e (Jeffrey Katz)
      6. Briel Computers (Vince Briel -- he's the Apple 1 Replica guy)
      7. Early laptops / luggables (me: Evan Koblentz)

      Couple of notes:

      1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks. Would
      be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and Osborne. (I
      already have the necessary laptops.)
      2. Rumor has it that Vince Briel will be announcing something new and cool
      at our show! Shhh, don't tell anyone. ;)

      I'm calling out the rest of you slackers! :) Andy M., Kelly, Jim O.,
      Scott A., Chris M., Sridhar, Jim S., Rich C., Frank O., Bill P., and others
      that I'm forgetting right now -- it is time for you guys to all sign up at
      http://www.vintage.org/2006/east/exhibit.php -- even if your exhibit is only
      1/10th of the way planned, go ahead and sign up anyway. The more people who
      sign up early, the more appealing VCF will be to non-MARCHian exhibitors,
      attendees, and the media.

      Frank in particular -- I know your Apollo exhibit is always basically
      ready-to-go -- but please sign up anyway. Just a formality. Thanks!

      Also, everyone should remember that ALL exhibitors, including myself, will
      PAY for their exhibit space. The price will be something reasonable (I
      promise) and of course it all goes to best of causes -- MARCH and InfoAge.
      (MARCH will donate a percentage of our VCF proceeds to InfoAge.)

    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
        > 4. PDP-8 (David Gesswein)
        > 5. PDP-8/e (Jeffrey Katz)

        Jeffrey, FYI I plan on bringing my 8/I system this year so we shouldn't
        be duplicates. I brought the 8/E last year. What all are you planning to
        bring if you have plans yet?

        > 1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks. Would
        > be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and Osborne. (I
        > already have the necessary laptops.)

        I have a Compaq II which needs some power supply capacitors replaced and a
        III which should be working. If you still need them closer to the event
        bug me again and I will see about getting them ready.
      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
          Evan:

          > 1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
          > Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
          > Osborne.
          I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

          How about a TRS-80 Model 4P. Would you want a TRS-80 100, 102 and 200 also?
          Still trying to get a 600 also, but not yet.

          Kelly
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
            Kelly Leavitt wrote:
            > Evan:
            >

            >>1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
            >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
            >>Osborne.
            >
            > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

            I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.

            Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
              Anyone planning or considering exhibiting an Altair or Cromeco?
              Bill D
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
                Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

                Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2006
                  shoot me if I am wrong, but I believe from memory it's:

                  IBM 5100
                  Osborne
                  Kaypro
                  IBM 5151
                  Compaq model ??

                  ready aim fire!

                  Bill D

                  At 02:18 PM 2/1/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                  Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

                  Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

                  >>1. I'll need to borrow some examples of "luggables" from MARCH folks.
                  >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
                  >>Osborne.
                  >
                  > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's luggable.

                  I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.

                  Peace...  Sridhar

                  Vintage computer Computer security Computer training
                  Field trip

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                • Bob Grieb
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

                    > >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
                    >
                    > >>Osborne.

                    I'm guessing:

                    1) Osborne (CP/M)
                    2) Kaypro (CP/M)
                    3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
                    4) IBM (MS-DOS)

                    But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

                    > > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's
                    > luggable.
                    >
                    > I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.
                    >
                    > Peace... Sridhar

                    > Vintage

                    =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                    > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                    2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                    > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                    2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                    > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                    > Field

                    ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                    > SwdHWZfg> trip
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >

                    > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                    > Service
                    > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                    >

                    > _____

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Bob Grieb wrote:
                      > Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

                      > I'm guessing:
                      >
                      > 1) Osborne (CP/M)
                      > 2) Kaypro (CP/M)
                      > 3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
                      > 4) IBM (MS-DOS)
                      >
                      > But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

                      Let's not forget the IBM 5100 portable in 1975.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                        David and Jeff,

                        Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                        my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                          Kelly,

                          I recently "discovered" that I have two Tandy 600's. You can have one which
                          I'll bring down on my next trip. At least one of these worked a few years
                          ago. I do not know their current condition.

                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
                            Evan,

                            The Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced both
                            CP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable PCompatible.

                            Jim

                            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.
                            >
                            > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                            > first? (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book. I keep hoping my
                            > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)
                            >

                            > _____

                          • Greg N Shari
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                              So where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of things?

                              Greg

                              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

                              > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                              > first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my
                              > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

                              >   _____

                            • David Gesswein
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                                > David and Jeff,
                                >
                                > Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                                > my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                                PDP-8's don't have much support for networking. The primary console will
                                be my ASR-33 teletype. If I get the second serial port setup and
                                can get one of the multi user edusystems working I will also bring
                                a VT52.
                              • Degnan
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                                  first color laptop
                                  bill d

                                  At Saturday, 4 February 2006, you wrote:

                                  >So
                                  >where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of
                                  >things?

                                  >Greg
                                  >
                                  > -----Original Message-----From:
                                  > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                  > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Jim
                                  > ScheefSent: Friday, February 03, 2006 12:49 PMTo:
                                  > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro]
                                  > This is cool! - Luggable historyEvan,The
                                  > Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced
                                  > bothCP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable
                                  > PCompatible.Jim--- Evan <evan947@...>
                                  > wrote:> Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to
                                  > MARCH-owned system.>  > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM,
                                  > Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came> first?  (I really need to
                                  > get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my> copy will turn
                                  > up but it's still lost.)>  > >
                                  > _____  > > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                                  sig=yQK66sIa>
                                  > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer
                                  > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                                  sig=bvgAN5E>
                                  > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security
                                  > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                                  sig=E3VSZZU>
                                  > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training       >
                                  > Field><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Field+trip&w1=Vintage+computer&w2=Compu>ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                                  sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL>
                                  > SwdHWZfg> trip       > >
                                  > _____  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS > > >
                                  >       > *      Visit
                                  > your group "midatlanticretro> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro>

                                  > " on the web.>   > >
                                  > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                                  > to:>  midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>

                                  > >   > > *      Your
                                  > use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service>
                                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                                  > Vintage computer
                                  >
                                  > Computer security
                                  >
                                  > Computer training