Heathkit Getting Back In The Kit Business

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 15, 2011
      The return of Heathkit? I thought you guys might find this news interesting.

      -Dan Wobser

      Sent to you by Dan via Google Reader:

      via MAKE by Phillip Torrone on 8/15/11

      Pt 10994-1

      Heathkit is getting back in the kit business it seems!

      By popular demand, Heathkit is bringing back the kit building tradition.  Successfully building your own products provides a sense of pride and accomplishment, not realized by simply buying something off the shelf.

      In late August, Heathkit will debut their new line of Do-it-Yourself kits for common around-the-house items.  The first kit will be a Garage Parking Assistant (GPA).  The Garage Parking assistant kit lets you build your own system that uses ultrasonic sound waves to locate your car as it enters the garage.  The system signals to the driver using LED lights mounted on the wall when the car is detected and in the perfect spot for parking.

      The GPA-100 kit consists of two primary assemblies – The LED Display in kit form and the pre-assembled ultrasonic range module.  the kit will include everything you need to complete the project except a soldering iron and hand tools.

      Next on the market will be a Wireless Swimming Pool Monitor kit followed by many more.  Heathkit wants to continue to bring to its customers interesting, unique Heathkit products.  Heathkit is interested in learning what types of products kit builders would like to build.  Kit builders can submit their suggestions through this website using the Contact Us email.

      From Wikipedia:

      Heathkits were products of the Heath Company, Benton Harbor, Michigan. Their products included electronic test equipment, high fidelity home audio equipment, television receivers, amateur radio equipment, electronic ignition conversion modules for early model cars with point style ignitions, and the influential Heath H-8, H-89, and H-11 hobbyist computers, which were sold in kit form for assembly by the purchaser.

      Things you can do from here:

    • Bob Schwier
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 18, 2011
        Keep us posted on when the first catalog is available whether on line or hard copy.
        bs

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 19, 2011
          Definitely. My first computer was the Heathkit 5151. I'd love for my son to have the opportunity to build some simple Heathkit items.

          Mark

          > Keep us posted on when the first catalog is available whether on line or hard copy.
          > bs
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 30, 2011
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan <dwobser@...> wrote:

            > The return of Heathkit? I thought you guys might find this news
            > interesting. [link to heathkit.com]

            The owners of the Heath and Zenith "brand" names have a history of selling their "brands" to any number of companies. There is continuity however with the Heath Educational Systems folks; they still offer support for Heath's original self-education products and tests. They will score old tests and give you an education credit accordingly.

            Otherwise, The "Heath/Zenith" brand name was licensed years ago to sell home consumer products like smoke alarms, that sort of thing. A close look at the heathkit.com site, suggests a number of "Heath" brands have been licensed to various manufacturers to sell their particular products. It's possible therefore that some consumer electronic kit company bought a license to use the Heath name.

            Point of fact: The entire Hero product line and name was sold at one point to a collector. Last I heard, he was still supporting Hero robots. I note on "heathkit.com" they call "their" robot "HE_RObot" presumably to avoid conflict with the sold trademark "HERO".

            Another point of fact: "heath" sold their entire collection of Heathkit manuals to some dealer. He claims he owns the COPYRIGHT to those manuals too, won't let on-line archives make them freely available. That's another whole story. But I speculate that "heathkit" won't offer any OLD Heathkit "kits".

            Bottom line: there's no guarantee that any of these :Heathkit" TM kits so described are anything like the legacy Heathkit products. They won't likely come out of Benton Harbor MI. I'm not holding my breath in anticipation.

            I have a clue about this subject:

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_zenith.html#desa

            Herb Johnson
            retrotechnology.com
          • RonK
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 31, 2011
              "Point of fact: The entire Hero product line and name was sold at one point to a collector. Last I heard, he was still supporting Hero robots. I note on "heathkit.com" they call "their" robot "HE_RObot" presumably to avoid conflict with the sold trademark "HERO"."

              You too can buy an up-to-date HERO One for around $8000 according to this site> http://www.robotshop.com/white-box-robotics-en.html

              Ron
            • s100doctor
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "RonK" <rkushnier@...> wrote:

                I wrote:
                > "Point of fact: The entire Hero product line and name was sold at one point to a collector. Last I heard, he was still supporting Hero robots. I note on "heathkit.com" they call "their" robot "HE_RObot" presumably to avoid conflict with the sold trademark "HERO"."
                >
                > You too can buy an up-to-date HERO One for around $8000 according to this site> http://www.robotshop.com/white-box-robotics-en.html
                >
                > Ron

                Ron, I don't see reference to the Heathkit "Hero" on the RobotShop Site Web page. They are no doubt "up to date" and look like the Heathkit HERO. I won't split hairs past that.

                ...but I was talking about the actual, original Hero product line. A Google search leads to the following:

                http://www.robotsandcomputers.com/robots/hero.htm

                confirms my post: the Hero product and name were sold to "Mobile Ed Productions", then apparently resold to Robert Doerr of RobotsWanted.com. But the home page there is 4 years old - I've sent an email to ask for an update.

                Herb Johnson
                retrotechnology.com
              • s100doctor
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
                  I'm in touch now with Robert Doerr, the owner of the original HERO line from Heath. I'll report his remarks to me in a few days. Short story is that he's repaired and updated the HERO for some time now and has an inventory of old and new parts. He's also active in personal robots past, and presently with "battlebots". And, he acknowledges his vintage computing roots. Details will be on my site and a link will be posted here.

                  This is an interesting story in how "retrotechnology" works, which is why it's on my Web pages.

                  Herb Johnson
                  retrotechnology.com
                • s100doctor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 5, 2011
                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/heath_robot.html

                    Robert Doerr, current owner of Heathkit's HERO product line, discussed the status of his HERO efforts. Encourage him to update his HERO pages and projects! He's also doing some "battlebot" stuff which seems to be popular these days.

                    Herb Johnson
                    retrotechnology.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 5, 2011
                      > http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/heath_robot.html
                      >
                      > Robert Doerr, current owner of Heathkit's HERO product line, discussed the status of his HERO efforts. Encourage him to update his HERO pages and projects! He's also doing some "battlebot" stuff which seems to be popular these days.

                      His web page indicates a location in metro Detroit. He'd a be a great
                      guest speaker for VCF Midwest.