Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Wi-fi Woes..

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2006
      Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
      Joe Giliberti wrote:

      I just set it up with a 54G wireless card. I didn't want to. I wanted to
      keep the 50 ft ethernet cable going between my bedroom and the router.
      But my Dad overuled me. Now, for some reason, I loose my connection
      every few minutes, only to have it come back a few minutes after that.
      Additionally, the signal strengh varies from excellent with a 54 Mb/s
      transfer rate to poor with a 2 Mb/s transfer rate. It really is driving
      me nuts. My computer and the router are only about 25 feet apart. Wi-Fi
      card is a Belkin and the router is a Linksys. ny suggestions?

      Are there walls in the way?  Do you have any 2.4GHz phones nearby?  Is
      there a microwave oven nearby?

      Peace...  Sridhar

      One wall and one 2.4GHz phone, but the noise meter is registering -83 dBm. When I unplugged the phone, it only went down to -91 dBm. Really no major difference.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        Joe,

        The phone should not be a big issue until someone talks on it. How close are
        your neighbors? Do they have Wi-Fi? Try changing channels. Use channel 1, 6
        or 11 only as all the others overlap and thus cause interference.

        Are both the card and router 802.11G or is one of them B? If all devices are
        one or the other, set the router to that standard.

        The dB scale is logarithmic. A 3dB difference is a doubling of signal
        strength so the change you saw is significant.

        Keep notes as you experiment so you don't spin your wheels. Remember, this
        stuff is fun.