Scanned OSI Manuals Available

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
      I finally got around to abusing the digital sender at work and scanned a bunch of my OSI manuals today! Here they are:

      http://www.glitchwrks.com/osi/manuals (software/hardware manuals)
      http://www.glitchwrks.com/osi/boards (board manuals/schematics)

      I've only scanned one board manual now, the Model 525 Dual Port RAM board, as I've never been able to find a copy online. It's used in the OSI hard disk system, so hopefully it'll help get another 14" disk up and going with OSI stuff!

      If anyone has the manual for the OSI 550 serial board, please let me know. I've been unable to find a good general-purpose OSI disk image creation utility, so I think I'm going to write one to stream tracks over one of the 550's ACIAs. I've got two 550 boards, but no manuals.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
        On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 08:45:35PM -0400, Systems Glitch wrote:
        > I've been unable to find a good general-purpose OSI disk image creation
        > utility, so I think I'm going to write one to stream tracks over one of
        > the 550's ACIAs. I've got two 550 boards, but no manuals.

        http://osi.marks-lab.com/
        The OsiEmu13.zip has a dumper in it. I have modified it to work with my
        8" drives and work with my serial & video board system. It dumps
        the raw track data and I have a program on the PC which converts it back
        into standard OSI format image disks.

        If this is of interest I can zip up my stuff for you.
      • Systems Glitch
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
          On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 22:10:31 -0400
          David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

          > The OsiEmu13.zip has a dumper in it. I have modified it to work with my
          > 8" drives and work with my serial & video board system. It dumps
          > the raw track data and I have a program on the PC which converts it back
          > into standard OSI format image disks.
          >
          > If this is of interest I can zip up my stuff for you.

          It certainly is of interest! Do your modifications allow for writing the data back to physical disk? That was one of the eventual goals of my project...it'd certainly be easier to recreate OSI disks, rather than the current method of "Mail me some blanks!"

          Thanks,
          Jonathan
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
            On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:22:14PM -0400, Systems Glitch wrote:
            > It certainly is of interest! Do your modifications allow for writing the
            > data back to physical disk? That was one of the eventual goals of my
            > project...

            Writing is still one of the items on my todo list also. I'll see about
            putting it up this weekend. I also have a program which pulls apart
            the disk image into files including decoding basic source. You happen to
            have CPM? I had one disk in it so have a partial decoder but didn't
            have enough info to get the basic decoding fully working. I don't have
            the tripple processor board to be able to actually run it.
          • Systems Glitch
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
              On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 22:23:54 -0400
              David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

              > Writing is still one of the items on my todo list also. I'll see about
              > putting it up this weekend. I also have a program which pulls apart
              > the disk image into files including decoding basic source. You happen to
              > have CPM? I had one disk in it so have a partial decoder but didn't
              > have enough info to get the basic decoding fully working. I don't have
              > the tripple processor board to be able to actually run it.

              Sounds like a very useful tool! I do have CP/M, though my system disks seem to be mostly defective at the moment. I need to send out blank 8" disks to Mark Csele, who has a working copy of CP/M 2.2 for the OSI. I just recently got 48K + 8K working with my OSI 510 triple-processor board, only to discover my CP/M disks were faulty!

              Thanks,
              Jonathan
            • David Gesswein
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 19, 2011
                Here is the files for the OSI stuff. Unless your in a hurry you may not
                want to do much with them since some cleanup and comments would make your
                life easier. That won't happen before at least next weekend.
                http://www.pdp8online.com/misc/osidump.zip

                Here's what I remember. Won't have time this weekend to actuall try it
                to make sure the zipped files actually are working.

                rawdump.asm is the dumping program. I use a65 assembler and osilod to
                make hte hex file for loading into the OSI via the monitor. The serial
                output from the program is captured to a file. I have a program I use to
                do that which isn't included. I can if needed. The process_image script
                then process the output to generate an image file and then extract the
                files.
              • Systems Glitch
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 19, 2011
                  Excellent! I'm not in a huge hurry. I have plenty to work on with the Challenger III. Your modifications will definitely be helpful in getting started, though. I eventually want to have an ADTPro-workalike for the OSI, or at least the serial-based systems (that's all I have available at this time). Time to dust off the 6502 ASM I picked up through the KIM-1!

                  For those interested, I stopped by Goldbond, VA and picked up more OSI manuals from Burgess MacNeal over the weekend. He's the original owner of one of my two OSI Challenger III systems (George Massenburg is the other), and he gave me another pile of manuals as big as the first. This one contained a manual for the CA-10X/550 board, a 16-ACIA serial board. That will be extremely helpful in getting something written for disk imaging! Here's the manual for the board:

                  http://www.glitchwrks.com/osi/boards/CA-10X%20550%20Board%20Manual.pdf

                  Thanks,
                  Jonathan