back in 1991

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011
      I was just yanking old credit card statements from my filing cabinet and I found some historical ones of interest

      Dec 1991: $647 to UUNET for a Telebit Trailblazer modem, and that's with a club discount! 9600 bps via the PEP protocol: worked rock steady despite bad line conditions. Despite later modems going "up to 56k" under ideal conditions, the Trailblazer's PEP worked better under ALL conditions, but the price!

      Dec 1995: $20 + $45 to Delphi for dialup Internet access (+ phone bill for 2nd line with unlimited local access to the POP). That was under their 20/20 plan: $20 for the first 20 hours, and metered after that! Now I pay $50/month for "unlimited" cable Internet, but as George Orwell said all too well "some unlimited data plans are more unlimited than others" :-/
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011
        "Jeff Jonas" <jeff_s_jonas@...> writes:

        >I was just yanking old credit card statements from my filing cabinet and
        >I = found some historical ones of interest
        >
        >Dec 1991: $647 to UUNET for a Telebit Trailblazer modem, and that's with
        >a = club discount! 9600 bps via the PEP protocol: worked rock steady
        >despite ba= d line conditions. Despite later modems going "up to 56k"
        >under ideal condi= tions, the Trailblazer's PEP worked better under ALL
        >conditions, but the pr= ice!
        >
        >Dec 1995: $20 + $45 to Delphi for dialup Internet access (+ phone bill
        >for = 2nd line with unlimited local access to the POP). That was under
        >their 20/2= 0 plan: $20 for the first 20 hours, and metered after that!
        >Now I pay $50/m= onth for "unlimited" cable Internet, but as George
        >Orwell said all too well= "some unlimited data plans are more unlimited
        >than others" :-/

        Pack rat!
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011

          I well remember a fellow member of the Manchester Computer Club ordering a
          pair of floppy disk drives for his SWTPC6800. He told his wife the price of
          one (I think about $250) but bought two. Any way the credit card bill
          arrived one Saturday morning and their young child brought post up to Mummy
          and Daddy who were still in bed. Child gave brown envelopes (i.e. bills) to
          daddy and white envelopes (which included credit card bill) to Mummy, who
          opened it and found true cost of twin floppies........

          .. Ah well we live but don't learn, however these days it's the size not the
          cost Mrs Dave complains about...

          Dave...

        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011
            I pulled out some of my old files…

            From Newman Computer Exchange in Ann Arbor, MI:

            09/28/1978 - KIM-1 computer $220
            10/24/1978 - Enclosure for KIM-1 $20

            From CGRS Microtech in Southampton PA:

            09/04/1979 - MOS Technology TIM Manual $10

            From JADE Computer Products:

            01/02/1979 - GRI Keyboard kit and mounting frame $73.90

            I've got bills for several dozen purchases up until '84 when I realized this was silly.

            Bob