Re: [midatlanticretro] Friden Flexowriters on Ebay

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3 3:48 PM
      On 7/31/11 9:39 PM, B Degnan wrote:
      > http://shop.ebay.com/auctionexpert/m.html?_nkw=FLEXOWRITER
      >
      > This would have been the I/O device for the PDP/1 or IBM TX-0 mini. A
      > "cheap" way to get a real historical item. If it was w/i driving
      > distance I might consider it, but to ship is very expensive. Still, this
      > is a holy grail item for some.

      SuhWEET! Pretty rare for those to show up. I've got an SPS, it's a
      really neat machine. I have the protocol information for it and hope to
      interface it to something (possibly USB!) at some point in the not too
      distant future.

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL
    • Bob Schwier
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 10 7:09 PM
        About 1970, we had a Friden to create copy for our college newspaper.
        Like the ones described, for this one, the operator typed the copy
        onto paper tape with a machine similar to a teletype. The Friden
        itself, was about the size of a pool table and each time one started
        it he had to run four paper tapes through that carried the operating
        system.
        bs