Re: Friden Flexowriters on Ebay

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
      http://shop.ebay.com/auctionexpert/m.html?_nkw=FLEXOWRITER

      That kinda makes me want to cry: there were 2 of them in my high school around 1977 from a long abandoned LGP-21.

      I used to see them at carnivals for the "handwriting analysis" fake computer! The paper tape reader on the left was clever concealed by the cabinet, lest you see how it was merely printing pre-recorded messages from the paper tape! Perhaps that's a source of Flexowriters as they upgraded to a laptop running any kind of printer now!
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
        On 7/31/11 9:39 PM, B Degnan wrote:
        > http://shop.ebay.com/auctionexpert/m.html?_nkw=FLEXOWRITER
        >
        > This would have been the I/O device for the PDP/1 or IBM TX-0 mini. A
        > "cheap" way to get a real historical item. If it was w/i driving
        > distance I might consider it, but to ship is very expensive. Still, this
        > is a holy grail item for some.

        SuhWEET! Pretty rare for those to show up. I've got an SPS, it's a
        really neat machine. I have the protocol information for it and hope to
        interface it to something (possibly USB!) at some point in the not too
        distant future.

        Dave McGuire
        Port Charlotte, FL
      • Bob Schwier
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 10, 2011
          About 1970, we had a Friden to create copy for our college newspaper.
          Like the ones described, for this one, the operator typed the copy
          onto paper tape with a machine similar to a teletype. The Friden
          itself, was about the size of a pool table and each time one started
          it he had to run four paper tapes through that carried the operating
          system.
          bs