Re: [midatlanticretro] Commdore 1541 drives in general

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
      All,

      > Quick check - how many *working* 1541 drives do MARCH members have
      > for personal use? I am talking drives that can read/format disks

      I am currently in the process of figuring out exactly how many I have that
      are working/not-working.

      > without incident, and have been tested in the past 3 years. What do
      > you think is the best 1541 drive model (VIC 1541, Alps 1541 (with
      > press down drive door), 1541 (with swing down driive arm), 1541-II,
      > 1541-C)?

      I like the 1541 swing down drive door. I *hate* the spring eject, since it
      usually will jam. I don't have a 1541-C. I have a few 1541-II, but have not
      tried or tested them yet. I have heard that they are not 100% compatible,
      more like 99%. For years I had no problems with my original 1541, until I
      connected it to a PC with an XE/1541 cable, then it stopped working
      properly. Along with a few more 1541 and a 1571.

      > For Commodore users, what is your favorite drive? Does anyone use
      > the 1581 or 1571 drives? SFD-1001?

      I like the FD-4000, but it is only for use with 3 1/2" floppies. I like that
      it has built in Jiffy-DOS. I have used the 1581 for mass storage of many
      programs. And once I get back into GEOS or similar OS (Wheels OS etc), then
      I will use it more. When I first got the 1581, I would consolidate many 1541
      disks onto one 1581 3 1/2 disk.

      Jeff3 B
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 3, 2011
        At 02:22 PM 8/1/2011, you wrote:
        >I would need to know when and where to drive to pick anything up, and what
        >payment or donation would be required.
        >
        >Does anyone know what might be wrong with the Model III Computers?
        >
        >Replacing RAM or Capacitors or Disk Drives I can do. More involved trouble
        >shooting is beyond me.

        FYI - We have disk drive controllers for sale (under billdeg) on
        Ebay. I have found that sometimes replacing the controller does the trick.