Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Looking for a C-64 Disk Drive, and a TRS-80 Model II/4/4P

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
      Al, I will contact you privately.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Al Hartman <alhartman6@...>
      Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:22:39
      To: MidAtlanticRetro<midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Looking for a C-64 Disk Drive, and a TRS-80 Model II/4/4P

      I would need to know when and where to drive to pick anything up, and what
      payment or donation would be required.

      Does anyone know what might be wrong with the Model III Computers?

      Replacing RAM or Capacitors or Disk Drives I can do. More involved trouble
      shooting is beyond me.

      I have a trove of old TRS-80 Software I'd like to test and duplicate before
      the disks become unreadable.

      Al Hartman

    • Barry L. Kline
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
        On 08/01/2011 02:34 PM, Ed wrote:
        > One of my Model IV(s) has a display adapter issue--from the
        > conversation here and on the TRS-80 group, I'm now pursuing replacing
        > all of the electrolytic capacitors to see if that helps. My biggest
        > concern was getting past discharging the anode of the tube. I
        > followed the procedure but never heard a zap. I waited several days
        > and tried again and no zap. I eventually got enough courage to
        > remove the anode connector, now I have the board out and I have to
        > start getting the parts I need to fix it.

        You don't always hear a 'zap'. The picture tube acts like a large
        capacitor which stores a charge. The charge will eventually bleed off,
        at varying rates, so by the time you get to working on it the charge may
        have bled off enough not to give you that nice audible feedback.

        That said, just do the discharge procedure (twice if you're shy) and
        you'll be good to go. FWIW, the charge on a picture tube is not lethal
        -- it just hurts like hell. Ask me how I know...

        Barry
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
          All,

          > Quick check - how many *working* 1541 drives do MARCH members have
          > for personal use? I am talking drives that can read/format disks

          I am currently in the process of figuring out exactly how many I have that
          are working/not-working.

          > without incident, and have been tested in the past 3 years. What do
          > you think is the best 1541 drive model (VIC 1541, Alps 1541 (with
          > press down drive door), 1541 (with swing down driive arm), 1541-II,
          > 1541-C)?

          I like the 1541 swing down drive door. I *hate* the spring eject, since it
          usually will jam. I don't have a 1541-C. I have a few 1541-II, but have not
          tried or tested them yet. I have heard that they are not 100% compatible,
          more like 99%. For years I had no problems with my original 1541, until I
          connected it to a PC with an XE/1541 cable, then it stopped working
          properly. Along with a few more 1541 and a 1571.

          > For Commodore users, what is your favorite drive? Does anyone use
          > the 1581 or 1571 drives? SFD-1001?

          I like the FD-4000, but it is only for use with 3 1/2" floppies. I like that
          it has built in Jiffy-DOS. I have used the 1581 for mass storage of many
          programs. And once I get back into GEOS or similar OS (Wheels OS etc), then
          I will use it more. When I first got the 1581, I would consolidate many 1541
          disks onto one 1581 3 1/2 disk.

          Jeff3 B
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 3, 2011
            At 02:22 PM 8/1/2011, you wrote:
            >I would need to know when and where to drive to pick anything up, and what
            >payment or donation would be required.
            >
            >Does anyone know what might be wrong with the Model III Computers?
            >
            >Replacing RAM or Capacitors or Disk Drives I can do. More involved trouble
            >shooting is beyond me.

            FYI - We have disk drive controllers for sale (under billdeg) on
            Ebay. I have found that sometimes replacing the controller does the trick.