Re: Looking for a C-64 Disk Drive, and a TRS-80 Model II/4/4P

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1 11:34 AM
      One of my Model IV(s) has a display adapter issue--from the conversation here and on the TRS-80 group, I'm now pursuing replacing all of the electrolytic capacitors to see if that helps. My biggest concern was getting past discharging the anode of the tube. I followed the procedure but never heard a zap. I waited several days and tried again and no zap. I eventually got enough courage to remove the anode connector, now I have the board out and I have to start getting the parts I need to fix it.

      On another note, I've found a board that I can use (theoretically) to take the TTL level video signals the Model IV generates and convert them to composite video--I have not tried it yet. I need to order the board and try it out. I'm trying to find an LCD display (that has composite input) that will fit where the tube goes. I may have to get some custom fabrication done to hold the LCD in the right place. But as an upgraded retro computer it could double as a TV and a vintage computer with the right thing installed.

      Regarding your disks, Ira Goldkland will duplicate them at no charge. http://www.trs-80.com

      Ed

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1 11:58 AM
        Al, I will contact you privately.

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1 12:23 PM
          On 08/01/2011 02:34 PM, Ed wrote:
          > One of my Model IV(s) has a display adapter issue--from the
          > conversation here and on the TRS-80 group, I'm now pursuing replacing
          > all of the electrolytic capacitors to see if that helps. My biggest
          > concern was getting past discharging the anode of the tube. I
          > followed the procedure but never heard a zap. I waited several days
          > and tried again and no zap. I eventually got enough courage to
          > remove the anode connector, now I have the board out and I have to
          > start getting the parts I need to fix it.

          You don't always hear a 'zap'. The picture tube acts like a large
          capacitor which stores a charge. The charge will eventually bleed off,
          at varying rates, so by the time you get to working on it the charge may
          have bled off enough not to give you that nice audible feedback.

          That said, just do the discharge procedure (twice if you're shy) and
          you'll be good to go. FWIW, the charge on a picture tube is not lethal
          -- it just hurts like hell. Ask me how I know...

          Barry
        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1 9:15 PM
            All,

            > Quick check - how many *working* 1541 drives do MARCH members have
            > for personal use? I am talking drives that can read/format disks

            I am currently in the process of figuring out exactly how many I have that
            are working/not-working.

            > without incident, and have been tested in the past 3 years. What do
            > you think is the best 1541 drive model (VIC 1541, Alps 1541 (with
            > press down drive door), 1541 (with swing down driive arm), 1541-II,
            > 1541-C)?

            I like the 1541 swing down drive door. I *hate* the spring eject, since it
            usually will jam. I don't have a 1541-C. I have a few 1541-II, but have not
            tried or tested them yet. I have heard that they are not 100% compatible,
            more like 99%. For years I had no problems with my original 1541, until I
            connected it to a PC with an XE/1541 cable, then it stopped working
            properly. Along with a few more 1541 and a 1571.

            > For Commodore users, what is your favorite drive? Does anyone use
            > the 1581 or 1571 drives? SFD-1001?

            I like the FD-4000, but it is only for use with 3 1/2" floppies. I like that
            it has built in Jiffy-DOS. I have used the 1581 for mass storage of many
            programs. And once I get back into GEOS or similar OS (Wheels OS etc), then
            I will use it more. When I first got the 1581, I would consolidate many 1541
            disks onto one 1581 3 1/2 disk.

            Jeff3 B
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 3 7:16 AM
              At 02:22 PM 8/1/2011, you wrote:
              >I would need to know when and where to drive to pick anything up, and what
              >payment or donation would be required.
              >
              >Does anyone know what might be wrong with the Model III Computers?
              >
              >Replacing RAM or Capacitors or Disk Drives I can do. More involved trouble
              >shooting is beyond me.

              FYI - We have disk drive controllers for sale (under billdeg) on
              Ebay. I have found that sometimes replacing the controller does the trick.