Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Friden Flexowriters on Ebay

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
      Wasn't that the interface for the TX-0 used in MIT before the PDP/1
      arrived (ala Hackers by Steven Levy?)...if I am mistaken ??
      bd

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
        >>> Wasn't that the interface for the TX-0 used in MIT before the PDP/1
        arrived (ala Hackers by Steven Levy?)...if I am mistaken ?? bd

        He was calling out the "IBM" part.
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
          TX-0 was an IBM computer

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
            >>> TX-0 was an IBM computer

            I'm @ work now and can not start doing research, but ... I think you're wrong. TX-0 was an MIT Lincoln Labs project, no? Very quick Google search found "TX-0 IBM 7094 Data Link" but that sounds like a peripheral device.
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
              On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > I'm @ work now and can not start doing research, but ... I think you're wrong. TX-0 was an MIT Lincoln Labs project, no? Very quick Google search found "TX-0 IBM 7094 Data Link" but that sounds like a peripheral device.

              Not IBM:

              http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/tx-0/TX-0_history_1984.txt

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
                At 03:11 PM 8/1/2011, you wrote:

                > > I'm @ work now and can not start doing research, but ... I think
                > you're wrong. TX-0 was an MIT Lincoln Labs project, no? Very quick
                > Google search found "TX-0 IBM 7094 Data Link" but that sounds like
                > a peripheral device.
                >
                > Not IBM:
                >
                >http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/tx-0/TX-0_history_1984.txt

                AFAIK the TX-0 was a peripheral used in conjunction with the TX-3,
                which was definitely an IBM system, or at least fully sponsored by
                IBM at MIT. It was either built or maintained in Lincoln Labs, but
                it had IBM components and was originally supported by IBM.

                Bill
              • jack99rubin
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
                  Sure - but IBM had nothing to do with the TX0 - it was a Wes Clark (LINC) design built at MIT's Lincoln Labs.

                  Jack

                  > Wasn't that the interface for the TX-0 used in MIT before the PDP/1
                  > arrived (ala Hackers by Steven Levy?)...if I am mistaken ??
                  > bd
                  >
                  > At 01:10 PM 8/1/2011, you wrote:
                  > > > This would have been the I/O device for the PDP/1 or IBM TX-0
                  > > > mini. A "cheap" way to get a real historical item. If it was w/i
                  > > > driving distance I might consider it, but to ship is very
                  > > > expensive. Still, this is a holy grail item for some.
                  > > >
                  > > > Bill
                  > > >

                  > >IBM TX-0???? Please explain yourself!

                • Jeff Jonas
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                    http://shop.ebay.com/auctionexpert/m.html?_nkw=FLEXOWRITER

                    That kinda makes me want to cry: there were 2 of them in my high school around 1977 from a long abandoned LGP-21.

                    I used to see them at carnivals for the "handwriting analysis" fake computer! The paper tape reader on the left was clever concealed by the cabinet, lest you see how it was merely printing pre-recorded messages from the paper tape! Perhaps that's a source of Flexowriters as they upgraded to a laptop running any kind of printer now!
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                      On 7/31/11 9:39 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                      > http://shop.ebay.com/auctionexpert/m.html?_nkw=FLEXOWRITER
                      >
                      > This would have been the I/O device for the PDP/1 or IBM TX-0 mini. A
                      > "cheap" way to get a real historical item. If it was w/i driving
                      > distance I might consider it, but to ship is very expensive. Still, this
                      > is a holy grail item for some.

                      SuhWEET! Pretty rare for those to show up. I've got an SPS, it's a
                      really neat machine. I have the protocol information for it and hope to
                      interface it to something (possibly USB!) at some point in the not too
                      distant future.

                      Dave McGuire
                      Port Charlotte, FL
                    • Bob Schwier
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 10, 2011
                        About 1970, we had a Friden to create copy for our college newspaper.
                        Like the ones described, for this one, the operator typed the copy
                        onto paper tape with a machine similar to a teletype. The Friden
                        itself, was about the size of a pool table and each time one started
                        it he had to run four paper tapes through that carried the operating
                        system.
                        bs