Scelbi 8H/8B- looking for information

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1 9:07 AM
      Well I know I said in a previous post that building a replica Mark-8 would be time consuming and cost prohibitive, but somehow I've been bitten by the Scelbi bug and am seriously investigating doing a limited edition reproduction of the Scelbi 8H and/or 8B. This is likely to be just as time consuming and expensive as doing a Mark-8 would be.

      For starters, I have put together a primitive Mac OS/X 8008/Scelbi emulator that can run Scelbal. See my blog post for information on this emulator.

      http://www.willegal.net/blog/?p=1705

      Data mining on internet and preliminary "networking" has yielded some good scans of the plug in cards, some schematics, scans of the Scelbal manual, etc. However I'm still looking for more information, in particular detailed information on the following.

      1)power supply
      2)TTY interface
      3)cassette interface
      4)the oscilloscope output interface
      4)backplane and I/O connections
      5)software
      6)differences between the 8H and 8B

      If you have any information on any of the above, or can contribute in other ways, let me know.

      Regards,
      Mike Willegal
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3 7:17 AM
        I would think MARCH would have the necessary info, being our
        connection through Evan with John Titus.
        Bill

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3 7:21 AM
          >>> I would think MARCH would have the necessary info, being our
          connection through Evan with John Titus.

          Doubtful that Titus would have and/or recall Scelbi details.
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3 7:46 AM
            At 10:21 AM 8/3/2011, you wrote:
            >connection through Evan with John Titus.
            >
            >Doubtful that Titus would have and/or recall Scelbi details.

            really? You'd think he'd know about the Scelbi like someone at MITS
            would know an IMSAI
            bd
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3 3:16 PM
              Hmm - maybe - though although the Mark-8 uses the same 8008 as the Scelbi, the implementation is quite different - they are not clones.

              Regards,
              Mike W.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3 8:58 PM
                At 06:16 PM 8/3/2011, you wrote:

                >Hmm - maybe - though although the Mark-8 uses the same 8008 as the
                >Scelbi, the implementation is quite different - they are not clones.
                >
                >Regards,
                >Mike W.

                true, I was only thinking if I made a competing 8008 system I might
                want to check out the other one too. See how it worked, etc.