Re: [midatlanticretro] Friden Flexowriters on Ebay

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2011
      >>> If it was w/i driving distance I might consider it, but to ship is very expensive. Still, this is a holy grail item for some.

      Very nice!
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
        Message
        The go back further than that. The Colossus at Bletchley used these. You can see one in the Wiki article here:-

        I think the KDF/9 (an old English computer) also used these. When I first started work at an insurance company we had a room full of these. They were used to prepare the "fancy" life policy documents as the Mainframe printer would only print upper case and this wasn't "good enough" for policies. Each girl (there could have been some men, but I don't remember any) had master tapes for each type of policy. The flexo's had an second punch attached so the master was read and this typed the fixed wording on the policy. It stopped at various points at where the girls then typed in the variable information, policy holder, premium, sum assured etc. As she typed these one tape was punched for later input to the computer, and the other was used to print a very posh envelope for sending the policy to the customer.

        The tapes were not actually read directly into the computer system, they were fed into a modified key-to-tape machine which created a tape for input to the daily run...

        Dave
        This would have been the I/O device for the PDP/1 or IBM TX-0 mini.  A "cheap" way to get a real historical item.  If it was w/i driving distance I might consider it, but to ship is very expensive.  Still, this is a holy grail item for some.

        Bill
      • jack99rubin
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
          > This would have been the I/O device for the PDP/1 or IBM TX-0
          > mini. A "cheap" way to get a real historical item. If it was w/i
          > driving distance I might consider it, but to ship is very
          > expensive. Still, this is a holy grail item for some.
          >
          > Bill

          IBM TX-0???? Please explain yourself!
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
            Wasn't that the interface for the TX-0 used in MIT before the PDP/1
            arrived (ala Hackers by Steven Levy?)...if I am mistaken ??
            bd

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
              >>> Wasn't that the interface for the TX-0 used in MIT before the PDP/1
              arrived (ala Hackers by Steven Levy?)...if I am mistaken ?? bd

              He was calling out the "IBM" part.
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
                TX-0 was an IBM computer

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
                  >>> TX-0 was an IBM computer

                  I'm @ work now and can not start doing research, but ... I think you're wrong. TX-0 was an MIT Lincoln Labs project, no? Very quick Google search found "TX-0 IBM 7094 Data Link" but that sounds like a peripheral device.
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
                    On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > I'm @ work now and can not start doing research, but ... I think you're wrong. TX-0 was an MIT Lincoln Labs project, no? Very quick Google search found "TX-0 IBM 7094 Data Link" but that sounds like a peripheral device.

                    Not IBM:

                    http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/tx-0/TX-0_history_1984.txt

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
                      At 03:11 PM 8/1/2011, you wrote:

                      > > I'm @ work now and can not start doing research, but ... I think
                      > you're wrong. TX-0 was an MIT Lincoln Labs project, no? Very quick
                      > Google search found "TX-0 IBM 7094 Data Link" but that sounds like
                      > a peripheral device.
                      >
                      > Not IBM:
                      >
                      >http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/tx-0/TX-0_history_1984.txt

                      AFAIK the TX-0 was a peripheral used in conjunction with the TX-3,
                      which was definitely an IBM system, or at least fully sponsored by
                      IBM at MIT. It was either built or maintained in Lincoln Labs, but
                      it had IBM components and was originally supported by IBM.

                      Bill
                    • jack99rubin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 1, 2011
                        Sure - but IBM had nothing to do with the TX0 - it was a Wes Clark (LINC) design built at MIT's Lincoln Labs.

                        Jack

                        > Wasn't that the interface for the TX-0 used in MIT before the PDP/1
                        > arrived (ala Hackers by Steven Levy?)...if I am mistaken ??
                        > bd
                        >
                        > At 01:10 PM 8/1/2011, you wrote:
                        > > > This would have been the I/O device for the PDP/1 or IBM TX-0
                        > > > mini. A "cheap" way to get a real historical item. If it was w/i
                        > > > driving distance I might consider it, but to ship is very
                        > > > expensive. Still, this is a holy grail item for some.
                        > > >
                        > > > Bill
                        > > >

                        > >IBM TX-0???? Please explain yourself!

                      • Jeff Jonas
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                          http://shop.ebay.com/auctionexpert/m.html?_nkw=FLEXOWRITER

                          That kinda makes me want to cry: there were 2 of them in my high school around 1977 from a long abandoned LGP-21.

                          I used to see them at carnivals for the "handwriting analysis" fake computer! The paper tape reader on the left was clever concealed by the cabinet, lest you see how it was merely printing pre-recorded messages from the paper tape! Perhaps that's a source of Flexowriters as they upgraded to a laptop running any kind of printer now!
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 3, 2011
                            On 7/31/11 9:39 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                            > http://shop.ebay.com/auctionexpert/m.html?_nkw=FLEXOWRITER
                            >
                            > This would have been the I/O device for the PDP/1 or IBM TX-0 mini. A
                            > "cheap" way to get a real historical item. If it was w/i driving
                            > distance I might consider it, but to ship is very expensive. Still, this
                            > is a holy grail item for some.

                            SuhWEET! Pretty rare for those to show up. I've got an SPS, it's a
                            really neat machine. I have the protocol information for it and hope to
                            interface it to something (possibly USB!) at some point in the not too
                            distant future.

                            Dave McGuire
                            Port Charlotte, FL
                          • Bob Schwier
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 10, 2011
                              About 1970, we had a Friden to create copy for our college newspaper.
                              Like the ones described, for this one, the operator typed the copy
                              onto paper tape with a machine similar to a teletype. The Friden
                              itself, was about the size of a pool table and each time one started
                              it he had to run four paper tapes through that carried the operating
                              system.
                              bs