Re: [midatlanticretro] Power Usage PDP8/e with 2 RK05 drives

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2011
      At 03:17 PM 7/31/2011, you wrote:
      >"B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:
      >
      > >For future reference I have found a UPS finally that can JUST BARELY
      > >handle the load drawn by a PDP8/e computer with twin RK05 drives - the
      > >APC 1500. Disk load/run will cause the full load light to come on for a
      > >few seconds. basic disk operations seems to be safe. So, if there was
      > >a power failure I would power down immediately. To be safe one would
      > >want something even more powerful than the APR 1500.
      > >
      > >This information is useful for determining the power consumption
      > >requirements at VCF.
      >
      >For how long??? I have APC 2200VA and 3000VA units here. I selected them
      >over smaller APC units because they can be and are augmented with external
      >battery packs. They didn't last me long enough, however, to ride out the
      >carnage caused by Friday's storm, so I now have a 7kWatt generator too. :)

      I did not actually test cutting the power, but I *believe* based on
      the lack of any response by the APC that the APC will at least hold
      until a safe power off can be completed. The max power seems to be
      drawn when you switch from LOAD to RUN and everything else is on AND
      you have a disk in the 2nd drive and that drive is also powered on.

      bd