Re: [midatlanticretro] Power Usage PDP8/e with 2 RK05 drives

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2011
      "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

      >For future reference I have found a UPS finally that can JUST BARELY
      >handle the load drawn by a PDP8/e computer with twin RK05 drives - the
      >APC 1500. Disk load/run will cause the full load light to come on for a
      >few seconds. basic disk operations seems to be safe. So, if there was
      >a power failure I would power down immediately. To be safe one would
      >want something even more powerful than the APR 1500.
      >
      >This information is useful for determining the power consumption
      >requirements at VCF.

      For how long??? I have APC 2200VA and 3000VA units here. I selected them
      over smaller APC units because they can be and are augmented with external
      battery packs. They didn't last me long enough, however, to ride out the
      carnage caused by Friday's storm, so I now have a 7kWatt generator too. :)

      BTW, my power was just restored!
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2011
        At 03:17 PM 7/31/2011, you wrote:
        >"B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:
        >
        > >For future reference I have found a UPS finally that can JUST BARELY
        > >handle the load drawn by a PDP8/e computer with twin RK05 drives - the
        > >APC 1500. Disk load/run will cause the full load light to come on for a
        > >few seconds. basic disk operations seems to be safe. So, if there was
        > >a power failure I would power down immediately. To be safe one would
        > >want something even more powerful than the APR 1500.
        > >
        > >This information is useful for determining the power consumption
        > >requirements at VCF.
        >
        >For how long??? I have APC 2200VA and 3000VA units here. I selected them
        >over smaller APC units because they can be and are augmented with external
        >battery packs. They didn't last me long enough, however, to ride out the
        >carnage caused by Friday's storm, so I now have a 7kWatt generator too. :)

        I did not actually test cutting the power, but I *believe* based on
        the lack of any response by the APC that the APC will at least hold
        until a safe power off can be completed. The max power seems to be
        drawn when you switch from LOAD to RUN and everything else is on AND
        you have a disk in the 2nd drive and that drive is also powered on.

        bd