Re: [midatlanticretro] Looking for a C-64 Disk Drive, and a TRS-80 Model II/4/4P

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 31, 2011
      Ray Sills <raysills3@...> wrote:

      >> They could be scattered all over ...
      >
      >And besides C= 1541 drives, there's also the Indus drives in a more
      >compact black package. I know I donated two of them. 100%
      >compatible, but faster.
      >
      >73 de Ray

      Are the 1571 compatible?
    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 31, 2011
        On Jul 31, 2011, at 12:45 PM, B Degnan wrote:

        > Ray Sills <raysills3@...> wrote:

        >>> They could be scattered all over ...
        >>
        >> And besides C= 1541 drives, there's also the Indus drives in a more
        >> compact black package. I know I donated two of them. 100%
        >> compatible, but faster.
        >>
        >> 73 de Ray

        > Are the 1571 compatible?
        >

        > HI Bill:

        Yes.. the Indus drives are fully compatible. Also have a handy
        button on the front panel to change the device number, should you be
        connecting multiple drives.

        73 de Ray
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 31, 2011
          Evan/Jeff,
          You should set these aside and test them.
          bd

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 31, 2011
            All,

            Quick check - how many *working* 1541 drives do MARCH members have
            for personal use? I am talking drives that can read/format disks
            without incident, and have been tested in the past 3 years. What do
            you think is the best 1541 drive model (VIC 1541, Alps 1541 (with
            press down drive door), 1541 (with swing down driive arm), 1541-II, 1541-C)?

            For Commodore users, what is your favorite drive? Does anyone use
            the 1581 or 1571 drives? SFD-1001?

            I like the 1541-II's, but they're harder to find.

            Bill

            At 03:23 PM 7/31/2011, you wrote:

            >On Jul 31, 2011, at 12:45 PM, B Degnan wrote:
            >
            > > Ray Sills <raysills3@...> wrote:

            > >> And besides C= 1541 drives, there's also the Indus drives in a more
            > >> compact black package. I know I donated two of them. 100%
            > >> compatible, but faster.
            > >>
            > >> 73 de Ray

            > > Are the 1571 compatible?
            > >

            > > HI Bill:
            >
            >Yes.. the Indus drives are fully compatible. Also have a handy
            >button on the front panel to change the device number, should you be
            >connecting multiple drives.
            >
            >73 de Ray

          • murph
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 31, 2011
              On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Ray Sills <raysills3@...> wrote:

              >> And besides C= 1541 drives, there's also the Indus drives in a more
              >> compact black package. I know I donated two of them. 100%
              >> compatible, but faster.
              >>
              >> 73 de Ray
              >>

              > Are the 1571 compatible?
              >

              > HI Bill:

              Yes.. the Indus drives are fully compatible. Also have a handy
              button on the front panel to change the device number, should you be
              connecting multiple drives.

              I thought that the drives were 1541 compatible, not 1571, they may not work with CP/M, and/or any of the newer functions.  That's from memory, but may be worth looking up.

              --
              Team Amiga  New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

            • murph
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 31, 2011
                On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 9:30 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                All,

                Quick check - how many *working* 1541 drives do MARCH members have
                for personal use? I am talking drives that can read/format disks
                without incident, and have been tested in the past 3 years. What do
                you think is the best 1541 drive model (VIC 1541, Alps 1541 (with
                press down drive door), 1541 (with swing down driive arm), 1541-II, 1541-C)?

                For Commodore users, what is your favorite drive? Does anyone use
                the 1581 or 1571 drives? SFD-1001?

                I like the 1541-II's, but they're harder to find.

                I've had a 1541 that I've kept safe since the late 80's, and just a few months ago, it fell off a shelf, misaligning the case, and probably the heads, if it works at all.  Made me sad.

                --
                Team Amiga  New Jersey - The less that I speak, the smarter I sound.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 31, 2011

                  Yes.. the Indus drives are fully compatible. Also have a handy
                  button on the front panel to change the device number, should you be
                  connecting multiple drives.

                  I thought that the drives were 1541 compatible, not 1571, they may not work with CP/M, and/or any of the newer functions.  That's from memory, but may be worth looking up.

                  Weren't there different ones?
                • Al Hartman
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
                    I would need to know when and where to drive to pick anything up, and what
                    payment or donation would be required.

                    Does anyone know what might be wrong with the Model III Computers?

                    Replacing RAM or Capacitors or Disk Drives I can do. More involved trouble
                    shooting is beyond me.

                    I have a trove of old TRS-80 Software I'd like to test and duplicate before
                    the disks become unreadable.

                    Al Hartman
                  • Ed
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
                      One of my Model IV(s) has a display adapter issue--from the conversation here and on the TRS-80 group, I'm now pursuing replacing all of the electrolytic capacitors to see if that helps. My biggest concern was getting past discharging the anode of the tube. I followed the procedure but never heard a zap. I waited several days and tried again and no zap. I eventually got enough courage to remove the anode connector, now I have the board out and I have to start getting the parts I need to fix it.

                      On another note, I've found a board that I can use (theoretically) to take the TTL level video signals the Model IV generates and convert them to composite video--I have not tried it yet. I need to order the board and try it out. I'm trying to find an LCD display (that has composite input) that will fit where the tube goes. I may have to get some custom fabrication done to hold the LCD in the right place. But as an upgraded retro computer it could double as a TV and a vintage computer with the right thing installed.

                      Regarding your disks, Ira Goldkland will duplicate them at no charge. http://www.trs-80.com

                      Ed

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
                        Al, I will contact you privately.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
                          On 08/01/2011 02:34 PM, Ed wrote:
                          > One of my Model IV(s) has a display adapter issue--from the
                          > conversation here and on the TRS-80 group, I'm now pursuing replacing
                          > all of the electrolytic capacitors to see if that helps. My biggest
                          > concern was getting past discharging the anode of the tube. I
                          > followed the procedure but never heard a zap. I waited several days
                          > and tried again and no zap. I eventually got enough courage to
                          > remove the anode connector, now I have the board out and I have to
                          > start getting the parts I need to fix it.

                          You don't always hear a 'zap'. The picture tube acts like a large
                          capacitor which stores a charge. The charge will eventually bleed off,
                          at varying rates, so by the time you get to working on it the charge may
                          have bled off enough not to give you that nice audible feedback.

                          That said, just do the discharge procedure (twice if you're shy) and
                          you'll be good to go. FWIW, the charge on a picture tube is not lethal
                          -- it just hurts like hell. Ask me how I know...

                          Barry
                        • Jeffrey Brace
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1, 2011
                            All,

                            > Quick check - how many *working* 1541 drives do MARCH members have
                            > for personal use? I am talking drives that can read/format disks

                            I am currently in the process of figuring out exactly how many I have that
                            are working/not-working.

                            > without incident, and have been tested in the past 3 years. What do
                            > you think is the best 1541 drive model (VIC 1541, Alps 1541 (with
                            > press down drive door), 1541 (with swing down driive arm), 1541-II,
                            > 1541-C)?

                            I like the 1541 swing down drive door. I *hate* the spring eject, since it
                            usually will jam. I don't have a 1541-C. I have a few 1541-II, but have not
                            tried or tested them yet. I have heard that they are not 100% compatible,
                            more like 99%. For years I had no problems with my original 1541, until I
                            connected it to a PC with an XE/1541 cable, then it stopped working
                            properly. Along with a few more 1541 and a 1571.

                            > For Commodore users, what is your favorite drive? Does anyone use
                            > the 1581 or 1571 drives? SFD-1001?

                            I like the FD-4000, but it is only for use with 3 1/2" floppies. I like that
                            it has built in Jiffy-DOS. I have used the 1581 for mass storage of many
                            programs. And once I get back into GEOS or similar OS (Wheels OS etc), then
                            I will use it more. When I first got the 1581, I would consolidate many 1541
                            disks onto one 1581 3 1/2 disk.

                            Jeff3 B
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 3, 2011
                              At 02:22 PM 8/1/2011, you wrote:
                              >I would need to know when and where to drive to pick anything up, and what
                              >payment or donation would be required.
                              >
                              >Does anyone know what might be wrong with the Model III Computers?
                              >
                              >Replacing RAM or Capacitors or Disk Drives I can do. More involved trouble
                              >shooting is beyond me.

                              FYI - We have disk drive controllers for sale (under billdeg) on
                              Ebay. I have found that sometimes replacing the controller does the trick.