Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Vintage Computer Museum in Mountain View CA

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 29 8:33 AM
      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

      >On 7/29/11 11:18 AM, system@... wrote: >> History
      >Museum, not Vintage Computer> Museum. Like an old computer, my >>
      >memory sometimes drops a bit or> two! :) - Bob >> >> Where's your
      >ECC interrupt, man?! > > It must be there as he's already acknowledged
      >the error.
      >
      > Ahh but it was detected, not immediately corrected...must be parity!
      >;)

      Sometimes, as I would hope you'd know, ECC can't correct the error. Thus,
      his memory must have a very limited hamming distance. :)

      > (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
      >broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
      >connectivity at least!)

      Not a place where I'd want to have a breakdown.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 29 8:55 AM
        On 7/29/11 11:33 AM, system@... wrote:
        >> On 7/29/11 11:18 AM, system@... wrote:>> History
        >> Museum, not Vintage Computer> Museum. Like an old computer, my>>
        >> memory sometimes drops a bit or> two! :) - Bob>> >> Where's your
        >> ECC interrupt, man?!> > It must be there as he's already acknowledged
        >> the error.
        >>
        >> Ahh but it was detected, not immediately corrected...must be parity!
        >> ;)
        >
        > Sometimes, as I would hope you'd know, ECC can't correct the error. Thus,
        > his memory must have a very limited hamming distance. :)

        Yes. ;) Unfortunately the best I've worked on was SECDED.

        >> (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
        >> broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
        >> connectivity at least!)
        >
        > Not a place where I'd want to have a breakdown.

        No, definitely not. The hotel is really nice though, so that part is
        good at least.

        Dave McGuire
        Port Charlotte, FL
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 29 10:29 AM
          On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Dave McGuire wrote:

          > (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
          > broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
          > connectivity at least!)

          Were you loaded or empty?

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 29 10:52 AM
            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

            > Yes. ;) Unfortunately the best I've worked on was SECDED.

            That's typically all I've seen too and that usually suffices for memory.
            CRC, for example, is relatively easy to implement in the logic, whereas
            circuitry to implement a BCH or Reed-Solomon encoder would probably make
            the memory price prohibitive.
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
              On Jul 29, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
              > On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Dave McGuire wrote:
              >
              >> (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
              >> broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
              >> connectivity at least!)
              >
              > Were you loaded or empty?

              Empty; that was a blessing. They got me a new truck and all was well.

              Now I'm in FL with the truck 98% loaded, but I'm in the ER with my fiancee' who thought now would be a good time to require the removal of her appendix. She goes under the knife in a few minutes.

              What a fun trip!

              Dave McGuire
              Port Charlotte, FL
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011

                On Aug 2, 2011 7:14 AM, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                >  Now I'm in FL with the truck 98% loaded, but I'm in the ER with my fiancee' who thought now would be a good time to require the removal of her appendix.  She goes under the knife in a few minutes.
                >
                >  What a fun trip!

                Don't forget to have them save it in a jar !
                It brings lasting memories :)

                =Dan