repost: Toshiba T 1100 Plus Available

  • Degnan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2006
      I posted this Sat AM, but it never went out..see group logs...??

      Anyone looking for a FREE "Toshiba T1100 Plus" parts unit (you pay
      shipping)?

      If you're trying to restore a IBM Convertible laptop some of these
      parts may be interchangable as well. This system has a bad LCD (you
      can still use with an external monitor), flakey A drive (needs
      cleaning?),
      and a weak or dead battery (I am attempting to re-charge overnight).
      Otherwise the system works. The B drive works (you can boot from
      B), the memory upgrade works, and the motherboard is OK. There is
      an untested internal modem. No power supply, sorry. I will make
      you a copy of the DOS disk that came with the computer. Let me know
      directly.

      More Details:

      Today I received two free dual 3.5 drive Toshiba T 1100 Plus model
      laptops with one set of manuals and some misc. software including
      the original DOS disks with diagnostics. They are ~7.1 Mhz 80C86
      systems, very similar to the IBM Convertible laptop. They look
      almost the same and I bet have some interchangable parts, especially
      the Epson drives.

      One system had a bad LCD display but I could access it with an
      external monitor. Otherwise the system worked well (except for dead
      battery). The 2nd system was in much better shape, but it had an
      inconsistent "A" drive and I could only get it to boot from A>
      once.

      I decided to take apart both laptops to make one fully functional
      unit.

      After a little poking around I decided to swap the A drive from the
      one system into the other. I could have opted to simply switch the
      LCD display (and possibly the internal battery), but the one unit
      was considerably yellowed and I wanted to try to restore the better
      looking system if I could. Taking that route presented a risk
      because I had to take the laptops completely apart to free the disk
      drive cables from the chassis in order to switch them. After
      patient disassembly I was successful.

      I also fixed a Toshiba DOS 3.2 disk with diagnostics.

      I also have not yet tested the modems.

      Fun. One of my first jobs was to test, fix, and configure laptops
      of that era. In my LCD laptop collection I have a Grid Plus,
      Virtual Computer "Commuter", and the T-1100 Plus. Related systems
      include a few Commodore SX64's, a Compaq 286 luggable, and an IBM
      5155.

      Bill D
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2006
        Actually it did go through... Came to my inbox yesterday at 8:36AM.

        I find that Yahoo randomly won't deliver a message to all members. Strange
        indeed.