Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Vintage Computer Museum in Mountain View CA

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
      On 7/29/11 10:29 AM, Bob Shuster wrote:
      > Yes, sorry, it's the Computer History Museum, not Vintage Computer
      > Museum. Like an old computer, my memory sometimes drops a bit or
      > two! :) - Bob

      Where's your ECC interrupt, man?!

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

        >--a1V6IOxr3Z9A5b5Zim9aD45JZBLMPUOnvGEOQMj Content-Type: text/plain;
        >charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
        >
        >On 7/29/11 10:29 AM, Bob Shuster wrote: > Yes, sorry, it's the Computer
        >History Museum, not Vintage Computer > Museum. Like an old computer, my
        >memory sometimes drops a bit or > two! :) - Bob
        >
        > Where's your ECC interrupt, man?!

        It must be there as he's already acknowledged the error.
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
          On 7/29/11 11:18 AM, system@... wrote:
          >> History Museum, not Vintage Computer> Museum. Like an old computer, my
          >> memory sometimes drops a bit or> two! :) - Bob
          >>
          >> Where's your ECC interrupt, man?!
          >
          > It must be there as he's already acknowledged the error.

          Ahh but it was detected, not immediately corrected...must be parity! ;)

          (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
          broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
          connectivity at least!)

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

            >On 7/29/11 11:18 AM, system@... wrote: >> History
            >Museum, not Vintage Computer> Museum. Like an old computer, my >>
            >memory sometimes drops a bit or> two! :) - Bob >> >> Where's your
            >ECC interrupt, man?! > > It must be there as he's already acknowledged
            >the error.
            >
            > Ahh but it was detected, not immediately corrected...must be parity!
            >;)

            Sometimes, as I would hope you'd know, ECC can't correct the error. Thus,
            his memory must have a very limited hamming distance. :)

            > (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
            >broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
            >connectivity at least!)

            Not a place where I'd want to have a breakdown.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
              On 7/29/11 11:33 AM, system@... wrote:
              >> On 7/29/11 11:18 AM, system@... wrote:>> History
              >> Museum, not Vintage Computer> Museum. Like an old computer, my>>
              >> memory sometimes drops a bit or> two! :) - Bob>> >> Where's your
              >> ECC interrupt, man?!> > It must be there as he's already acknowledged
              >> the error.
              >>
              >> Ahh but it was detected, not immediately corrected...must be parity!
              >> ;)
              >
              > Sometimes, as I would hope you'd know, ECC can't correct the error. Thus,
              > his memory must have a very limited hamming distance. :)

              Yes. ;) Unfortunately the best I've worked on was SECDED.

              >> (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
              >> broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
              >> connectivity at least!)
              >
              > Not a place where I'd want to have a breakdown.

              No, definitely not. The hotel is really nice though, so that part is
              good at least.

              Dave McGuire
              Port Charlotte, FL
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Dave McGuire wrote:

                > (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
                > broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
                > connectivity at least!)

                Were you loaded or empty?

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                  Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                  > Yes. ;) Unfortunately the best I've worked on was SECDED.

                  That's typically all I've seen too and that usually suffices for memory.
                  CRC, for example, is relatively easy to implement in the logic, whereas
                  circuitry to implement a BCH or Reed-Solomon encoder would probably make
                  the memory price prohibitive.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
                    On Jul 29, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                    > On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Dave McGuire wrote:
                    >
                    >> (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
                    >> broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
                    >> connectivity at least!)
                    >
                    > Were you loaded or empty?

                    Empty; that was a blessing. They got me a new truck and all was well.

                    Now I'm in FL with the truck 98% loaded, but I'm in the ER with my fiancee' who thought now would be a good time to require the removal of her appendix. She goes under the knife in a few minutes.

                    What a fun trip!

                    Dave McGuire
                    Port Charlotte, FL
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011

                      On Aug 2, 2011 7:14 AM, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                      >  Now I'm in FL with the truck 98% loaded, but I'm in the ER with my fiancee' who thought now would be a good time to require the removal of her appendix.  She goes under the knife in a few minutes.
                      >
                      >  What a fun trip!

                      Don't forget to have them save it in a jar !
                      It brings lasting memories :)

                      =Dan