Re: Vintage Computer Museum in Mountain View CA

  • Mike Hatch
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 28, 2011
      Bob,
      The Computer History Museum Mountain View CA Lakeshore Road ?
      Don't know the Vintage Computer Museum

      For me it would be the longest operational DEC PDP-7, CHM have just reassembled it and got it operational, and photos please if possible.

      Best regards,

      Mike Hatch
      DEC PDP-7 - www.pdp-7.org

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Shuster <bob@...> wrote:

      > Hi all. I'm visiting the Vintage Computer Museum in Mountain View CA this weekend. (We'll take lots of pictures.) Anything in particular I should make sure to see there?
      >
      > - Bob
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone

    • Bob Shuster
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
        Yes, sorry, it's the Computer History Museum, not Vintage Computer Museum. Like an old computer, my memory sometimes drops a bit or two! :) - Bob

        Sent from my iPhone
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
          On 7/29/11 10:29 AM, Bob Shuster wrote:
          > Yes, sorry, it's the Computer History Museum, not Vintage Computer
          > Museum. Like an old computer, my memory sometimes drops a bit or
          > two! :) - Bob

          Where's your ECC interrupt, man?!

          Dave McGuire
          Port Charlotte, FL
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

            >--a1V6IOxr3Z9A5b5Zim9aD45JZBLMPUOnvGEOQMj Content-Type: text/plain;
            >charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
            >
            >On 7/29/11 10:29 AM, Bob Shuster wrote: > Yes, sorry, it's the Computer
            >History Museum, not Vintage Computer > Museum. Like an old computer, my
            >memory sometimes drops a bit or > two! :) - Bob
            >
            > Where's your ECC interrupt, man?!

            It must be there as he's already acknowledged the error.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
              On 7/29/11 11:18 AM, system@... wrote:
              >> History Museum, not Vintage Computer> Museum. Like an old computer, my
              >> memory sometimes drops a bit or> two! :) - Bob
              >>
              >> Where's your ECC interrupt, man?!
              >
              > It must be there as he's already acknowledged the error.

              Ahh but it was detected, not immediately corrected...must be parity! ;)

              (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
              broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
              connectivity at least!)

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                >On 7/29/11 11:18 AM, system@... wrote: >> History
                >Museum, not Vintage Computer> Museum. Like an old computer, my >>
                >memory sometimes drops a bit or> two! :) - Bob >> >> Where's your
                >ECC interrupt, man?! > > It must be there as he's already acknowledged
                >the error.
                >
                > Ahh but it was detected, not immediately corrected...must be parity!
                >;)

                Sometimes, as I would hope you'd know, ECC can't correct the error. Thus,
                his memory must have a very limited hamming distance. :)

                > (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
                >broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
                >connectivity at least!)

                Not a place where I'd want to have a breakdown.
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                  On 7/29/11 11:33 AM, system@... wrote:
                  >> On 7/29/11 11:18 AM, system@... wrote:>> History
                  >> Museum, not Vintage Computer> Museum. Like an old computer, my>>
                  >> memory sometimes drops a bit or> two! :) - Bob>> >> Where's your
                  >> ECC interrupt, man?!> > It must be there as he's already acknowledged
                  >> the error.
                  >>
                  >> Ahh but it was detected, not immediately corrected...must be parity!
                  >> ;)
                  >
                  > Sometimes, as I would hope you'd know, ECC can't correct the error. Thus,
                  > his memory must have a very limited hamming distance. :)

                  Yes. ;) Unfortunately the best I've worked on was SECDED.

                  >> (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
                  >> broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
                  >> connectivity at least!)
                  >
                  > Not a place where I'd want to have a breakdown.

                  No, definitely not. The hotel is really nice though, so that part is
                  good at least.

                  Dave McGuire
                  Port Charlotte, FL
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                    On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Dave McGuire wrote:

                    > (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
                    > broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
                    > connectivity at least!)

                    Were you loaded or empty?

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                      > Yes. ;) Unfortunately the best I've worked on was SECDED.

                      That's typically all I've seen too and that usually suffices for memory.
                      CRC, for example, is relatively easy to implement in the logic, whereas
                      circuitry to implement a BCH or Reed-Solomon encoder would probably make
                      the memory price prohibitive.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
                        On Jul 29, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                        > On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Dave McGuire wrote:
                        >
                        >> (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
                        >> broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
                        >> connectivity at least!)
                        >
                        > Were you loaded or empty?

                        Empty; that was a blessing. They got me a new truck and all was well.

                        Now I'm in FL with the truck 98% loaded, but I'm in the ER with my fiancee' who thought now would be a good time to require the removal of her appendix. She goes under the knife in a few minutes.

                        What a fun trip!

                        Dave McGuire
                        Port Charlotte, FL
                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011

                          On Aug 2, 2011 7:14 AM, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                          >  Now I'm in FL with the truck 98% loaded, but I'm in the ER with my fiancee' who thought now would be a good time to require the removal of her appendix.  She goes under the knife in a few minutes.
                          >
                          >  What a fun trip!

                          Don't forget to have them save it in a jar !
                          It brings lasting memories :)

                          =Dan