Vintage Computer Museum in Mountain View CA

  • Bob Shuster
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 28, 2011
      Hi all. I'm visiting the Vintage Computer Museum in Mountain View CA this weekend. (We'll take lots of pictures.) Anything in particular I should make sure to see there?

      - Bob

      Sent from my iPhone
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 28, 2011
        Bob,
        If any of the following exist from 1975 in particular:

        The COSMAC Microkit 1 (RCA) (small box, used RCA 1801 microprocessor)
        The Microcontroller (Scientific Micro Systems) (single board computer)
        M6800 (Motorola), (Single board computer)
        MicroPac 80 microcomputer (Process Computer Systems) (front panel)

        Bill

        At 11:39 AM 7/28/2011, you wrote:
        >Hi all. I'm visiting the Vintage Computer Museum in Mountain View
        >CA this weekend. (We'll take lots of pictures.) Anything in
        >particular I should make sure to see there?
        >
        >- Bob
        >
        >Sent from my iPhone

      • Mike Hatch
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 28, 2011
          Bob,
          The Computer History Museum Mountain View CA Lakeshore Road ?
          Don't know the Vintage Computer Museum

          For me it would be the longest operational DEC PDP-7, CHM have just reassembled it and got it operational, and photos please if possible.

          Best regards,

          Mike Hatch
          DEC PDP-7 - www.pdp-7.org

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Shuster <bob@...> wrote:

          > Hi all. I'm visiting the Vintage Computer Museum in Mountain View CA this weekend. (We'll take lots of pictures.) Anything in particular I should make sure to see there?
          >
          > - Bob
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone

        • Bob Shuster
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
            Yes, sorry, it's the Computer History Museum, not Vintage Computer Museum. Like an old computer, my memory sometimes drops a bit or two! :) - Bob

            Sent from my iPhone
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
              On 7/29/11 10:29 AM, Bob Shuster wrote:
              > Yes, sorry, it's the Computer History Museum, not Vintage Computer
              > Museum. Like an old computer, my memory sometimes drops a bit or
              > two! :) - Bob

              Where's your ECC interrupt, man?!

              Dave McGuire
              Port Charlotte, FL
            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                >--a1V6IOxr3Z9A5b5Zim9aD45JZBLMPUOnvGEOQMj Content-Type: text/plain;
                >charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
                >
                >On 7/29/11 10:29 AM, Bob Shuster wrote: > Yes, sorry, it's the Computer
                >History Museum, not Vintage Computer > Museum. Like an old computer, my
                >memory sometimes drops a bit or > two! :) - Bob
                >
                > Where's your ECC interrupt, man?!

                It must be there as he's already acknowledged the error.
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                  On 7/29/11 11:18 AM, system@... wrote:
                  >> History Museum, not Vintage Computer> Museum. Like an old computer, my
                  >> memory sometimes drops a bit or> two! :) - Bob
                  >>
                  >> Where's your ECC interrupt, man?!
                  >
                  > It must be there as he's already acknowledged the error.

                  Ahh but it was detected, not immediately corrected...must be parity! ;)

                  (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
                  broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
                  connectivity at least!)

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                    >On 7/29/11 11:18 AM, system@... wrote: >> History
                    >Museum, not Vintage Computer> Museum. Like an old computer, my >>
                    >memory sometimes drops a bit or> two! :) - Bob >> >> Where's your
                    >ECC interrupt, man?! > > It must be there as he's already acknowledged
                    >the error.
                    >
                    > Ahh but it was detected, not immediately corrected...must be parity!
                    >;)

                    Sometimes, as I would hope you'd know, ECC can't correct the error. Thus,
                    his memory must have a very limited hamming distance. :)

                    > (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
                    >broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
                    >connectivity at least!)

                    Not a place where I'd want to have a breakdown.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                      On 7/29/11 11:33 AM, system@... wrote:
                      >> On 7/29/11 11:18 AM, system@... wrote:>> History
                      >> Museum, not Vintage Computer> Museum. Like an old computer, my>>
                      >> memory sometimes drops a bit or> two! :) - Bob>> >> Where's your
                      >> ECC interrupt, man?!> > It must be there as he's already acknowledged
                      >> the error.
                      >>
                      >> Ahh but it was detected, not immediately corrected...must be parity!
                      >> ;)
                      >
                      > Sometimes, as I would hope you'd know, ECC can't correct the error. Thus,
                      > his memory must have a very limited hamming distance. :)

                      Yes. ;) Unfortunately the best I've worked on was SECDED.

                      >> (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
                      >> broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
                      >> connectivity at least!)
                      >
                      > Not a place where I'd want to have a breakdown.

                      No, definitely not. The hotel is really nice though, so that part is
                      good at least.

                      Dave McGuire
                      Port Charlotte, FL
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                        On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Dave McGuire wrote:

                        > (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
                        > broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
                        > connectivity at least!)

                        Were you loaded or empty?

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011
                          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                          > Yes. ;) Unfortunately the best I've worked on was SECDED.

                          That's typically all I've seen too and that usually suffices for memory.
                          CRC, for example, is relatively easy to implement in the logic, whereas
                          circuitry to implement a BCH or Reed-Solomon encoder would probably make
                          the memory price prohibitive.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011
                            On Jul 29, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                            > On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Dave McGuire wrote:
                            >
                            >> (Jeeze I feel geeky now. I'm sitting in a hotel in Georgia with a
                            >> broken-down rental truck awaiting a replacement. Thank heaven for good
                            >> connectivity at least!)
                            >
                            > Were you loaded or empty?

                            Empty; that was a blessing. They got me a new truck and all was well.

                            Now I'm in FL with the truck 98% loaded, but I'm in the ER with my fiancee' who thought now would be a good time to require the removal of her appendix. She goes under the knife in a few minutes.

                            What a fun trip!

                            Dave McGuire
                            Port Charlotte, FL
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 2, 2011

                              On Aug 2, 2011 7:14 AM, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                              >  Now I'm in FL with the truck 98% loaded, but I'm in the ER with my fiancee' who thought now would be a good time to require the removal of her appendix.  She goes under the knife in a few minutes.
                              >
                              >  What a fun trip!

                              Don't forget to have them save it in a jar !
                              It brings lasting memories :)

                              =Dan