RE: [midatlanticretro] IBM PC keyboard detection circuit

    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 27, 2011
      At 10:23 AM 7/27/2011, you wrote:
      >Bill Deg wrote:
      > >First of all, find me an IBM computer with this error exactly, this
      > >is an urban legend.

      >I have seen plenty of 486 clones (not IBM) that exhibit this exact
      >error. I support several packet sites (a lot fewer than I used to) that
      >still use this class machine to store and forward messages. What we want
      >on these sites are simple 486 clones with no floppy, solid state
      >storage, and not even a keyboard on site. We have to make sure the
      >machine we want to use can be started without a keyboard plugged in. In
      >many cases there is a BIOS setting to bypass the keyboard, but even this
      >setting is sometimes simply ignored.
      >
      >We then have to put a note over the keyboard port because I've wrecked
      >several motherboards by plugging in a keyboard hot. This is not
      >anecdotal evidence. This is my experience. It doesn't always happen, but
      >it does happen.
      >
      >These are not genuine IBM machines. These are typically off brand cast
      >off machines of dubious reputation.

      I know there are people down on IBM because of what they did to the
      market and their decisions to do this or that. When I worked at IBM
      in 1987 as a college junior I was quite proud of the company that
      launched the PS/2, OS/2, AS/400, and DOS 3.3 all in the 6 months I
      worked there! Made an impression with me. I used to go on sales
      calls and helped demonstrate all the neat little hardware features of
      the PS/2 especially. Sure Microchannel did not take, but it was very
      dominant in the corporate world for quite a while. I should know, by
      the time I was 25 I had already worked at IBM, DuPont, ICI, Zeneca,
      Independence Blue Cross...all offices full of IBM PS/2 model 50's,
      70's, and 80's. The dominance lasted well into 1992-3.

      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 27, 2011