"Wasting time" on old computers

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2011
      Heres the output of more hours than I would like to admit with more to
      go before they are useful. It was fun to play with a lathe but based on
      the time spend and the number of parts not shown that only look something
      like the original I probably shouldn't moonlight as a machinist.
      http://www.pdp8online.com/563/pics/P1020574.shtml?small

      Have one more part to go to have all the pen parts. Since its my father in
      laws lathe that will have to wait for the next visit next year.
      Should be able to make the nice wood boxes at home.
      http://ferretronix.com/1627/
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27, 2011
        Heh... Thats cool though...
        I would fabricate my own parts if I could fit the equipment through the tiny door into my tiny apartment.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 27, 2011
          Maybe sometime you could post a video of the process used to do this
          kind of thing...

          At 10:40 PM 7/26/2011, you wrote:
          > Heres the output of more hours than I would like to admit with more to
          >go before they are useful. It was fun to play with a lathe but based on
          >the time spend and the number of parts not shown that only look something
          >like the original I probably shouldn't moonlight as a machinist.
          >http://www.pdp8online.com/563/pics/P1020574.shtml?small
          >
          >Have one more part to go to have all the pen parts. Since its my father in
          >laws lathe that will have to wait for the next visit next year.
          >Should be able to make the nice wood boxes at home.
          >http://ferretronix.com/1627/

        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 27, 2011
            On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 09:00:22AM -0400, B Degnan wrote:
            > Maybe sometime you could post a video of the process used to do this
            > kind of thing...

            My knowledge of what I am doing is a couple hours watching my father in
            law use it, a little instruction from him and reading a book.

            I thought about documenting more on how I did it but my technique is probably
            poor. I didn't really want to teach people how to do things wrong.
            For lathe operating instructions youtube should have a lot better
            videos than anything I can do. A video might still be useful with disclaimers
            for in general showing how you can recreate missing pieces for old equipment
            like this and for general entertainment. I think it is kind of neat watching
            the metal be removed especially when you get the long curly fry type shavings.

            I am planning to add more to the page with more description of how I
            made the parts and dimensions to help anybody who needed to make the part
            for there plotter.

            With this information you think the video is still a good idea? I have one
            more part to make so can try something next year.