A new micro(controller) built around BASIC

  • Rolf Levenbach
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2011
      Below is a recent snip from the PIClist, a microcontroller listserv, about two projects using Microchip PICs to make a small computer in the vintage tradition. Maybe the people who disagree about C as a suitable portable systems implementation language will be united in their contempt for BASIC as a "portable" language ;)

      Rolf L.

      In Australia we have an item that the rest of the world knows nothing about.

      A Maximite SM1 prototype is being shown in the northern hemisphere for the first time at
      http://makerfaire.com/detroit/2011/ in Detroit at the end of this month, at Chuck Hellebuyck's stand.

      What is a Maximite?
      Remember the TRS80 computers from the late 1970's? What about programming in QBasic in the 90's? Well, this little
      computer will bring back some memories. Even if you don't remember those wonderful things from the early days of PC's,
      you will still find the Maximite interesting, and useful!

      The Maximite is a hand sized computer based on the Pic32 processor. You can program it in MMBasic (very similar to
      QBasic), it runs on 9 volts or USB power, connects to a VGA screen (or TV) and standard PC keyboard, and has 20 I/O pins
      you can access with software. Uses an SD card for program loads and saves.

      some useful URLs

      Chuck Hellebuyck's Site:
      http://www.elproducts.net/chips16.html

      Geoff Graham's site:
      http://geoffg.net/maximite.html

      Support site:
      http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=16&PN=1

      My sales site:
      http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html

      My blog site for it:
      http://www.themaximitecomputer.com/

      Cheers Don...

      --
      Don McKenzie

      Dontronics Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
      E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/email
      Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
      No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

      New MMBasic Computer http://www.TheMaximiteComputer.com
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2011
        Message
        Worse still there are PicAxe chips with Basic on the chip..

        Dave

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 2011
          One step ahead of you guys =)

          http://chrisfenton.com/diy-laptop-v2/