MARCH Pittsburgh SIG

    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 26, 2011
      > I'm sitting here with Dan Roganti designing cool hardware. We are
      > having some fun tonight! -Dave

      Do tell.
      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 27, 2011
        At 10:23 AM 7/27/2011, you wrote:
        >Bill Deg wrote:
        > >First of all, find me an IBM computer with this error exactly, this
        > >is an urban legend.

        >I have seen plenty of 486 clones (not IBM) that exhibit this exact
        >error. I support several packet sites (a lot fewer than I used to) that
        >still use this class machine to store and forward messages. What we want
        >on these sites are simple 486 clones with no floppy, solid state
        >storage, and not even a keyboard on site. We have to make sure the
        >machine we want to use can be started without a keyboard plugged in. In
        >many cases there is a BIOS setting to bypass the keyboard, but even this
        >setting is sometimes simply ignored.
        >
        >We then have to put a note over the keyboard port because I've wrecked
        >several motherboards by plugging in a keyboard hot. This is not
        >anecdotal evidence. This is my experience. It doesn't always happen, but
        >it does happen.
        >
        >These are not genuine IBM machines. These are typically off brand cast
        >off machines of dubious reputation.

        I know there are people down on IBM because of what they did to the
        market and their decisions to do this or that. When I worked at IBM
        in 1987 as a college junior I was quite proud of the company that
        launched the PS/2, OS/2, AS/400, and DOS 3.3 all in the 6 months I
        worked there! Made an impression with me. I used to go on sales
        calls and helped demonstrate all the neat little hardware features of
        the PS/2 especially. Sure Microchannel did not take, but it was very
        dominant in the corporate world for quite a while. I should know, by
        the time I was 25 I had already worked at IBM, DuPont, ICI, Zeneca,
        Independence Blue Cross...all offices full of IBM PS/2 model 50's,
        70's, and 80's. The dominance lasted well into 1992-3.