re:Lisa landfill

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
      regardless, how would you go about pinpointing just
      where they were buried (were they likely buried?).
      That place likely takes up hundreds of acres, if not
      thousands. What else groovy was landfilled? Was it
      just Atari carts? What about puters?
      --- casting@yahoogroups.com <lathe9x20@...>
      wrote:
      > Hello, Mike
      >
      > Brass can be blackened chemically, and aluminum can
      be anodized black.
      > Check Caswell Plating http://www.caswellplating.com
      for supplies for
      > the AL. There are pictures of black gun parts
      there. Don't even try
      > to use the "instant blue for aluminum" from the gun
      dept of WalMart.

      http://www.sculptnouveau.com/, or the science
      http://www.coscosci.com/patinas/index.htm.

      > If it were me, I'd look very seriously at paints
      applied with an

      wrote:

      > > I am using brass and aluminum to fabricate scale
      models. I need to
      > > blacken the metals rather than paint them. I know
      there was a liquid
      > > by the name of Ebonol or Ebanol, it seems no
      longer available. I have
      > > checked on a substitute made by JAX (Supplied in
      the Grobet USA
      > > catalog) but Can$90.00 per gal it is rather
      expensive. Is there a way
      > > to achieve a really soft black finish without the
      use of expensive
      > > chemicals? The models in question will have some
      soft soldered joins
      > > so it won't be safe to apply any amount of heat.
      > >
      > > Mike

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Degnan
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
        I know that nearby where I live there are supposedly "bulldozed under"
        Commodore P500's. I have called QVC (the home shopping tv station)
        who now occupies the property once owned by Commodore in West Chester,
        PA. As you would expect they don't know much...but if anyone would
        like to do an expedition on the grounds of the office complex, let
        me know. I was told that they buried them "out back" but that's
        about all anyone knows. Would I run around with a metal detector
        and a shovel; yes I would! Anyone up for it? They could be buried
        under a parking lot by now...might make a fun little video. Imagine
        people digging for computers behind the QVC studio parking lot.

        Taking the video concept another step..has anyone seen the "Best
        In Show" movie about dog show particpants? Are we not the real-life
        equivalent of that movie, being so involved with such a specialized
        field as vintage computers to the point of doing a festival? Our
        group has some unique personalities, yes? I for one admit that I
        take this whole thing a little too far (ask my wife), but I don't
        care, if you're going to pick a hobby might as well dive in!

        I hope that this event is recorded for posterity. I will bring a
        video camera, maybe I will have time to do some interviews at the
        show.

        I posted my VCF exhibit on the VCF 3 site, I have not seen it yet,
        but I assume it's in pending status waiting for the site admin to
        approve and post to the public.

        Bill D

        -- E N D --
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
          Strange! I just logged in to the VCF admin site (Sellam hooked me up) and
          there were four exhibits waiting for approval. It's supposed to send me an
          email each time someone registers. Oh well.

          The exhibits are all approved now -- check back there Bill.

> [...]

          >> 'hope this helps
          >>
          >> JohnL
          >>

          >> The
          >>
          >> --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <ezme@r...>
          >wrote:
          >> >
          >> > I am using brass and aluminum to fabricate scale
          >models. I need to
          >> > blacken the metals rather than paint them. I know
          >there was a liquid
          >> > by the name of Ebonol or Ebanol, it seems no
          >longer available. I have
          >> > checked on a substitute made by JAX (Supplied in
          >the Grobet USA
          >> > catalog) but Can$90.00 per gal it is rather
          >expensive. Is there a way
          >> > to achieve a really soft black finish without the
          >use of expensive
          >> > chemicals? The models in question will have some
          >soft soldered joins
          >> > so it won't be safe to apply any amount of heat.

          -- E N D --