RE: [midatlanticretro] Lisa landfill

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
      Actually, yes. There's something in the tax code that specifies that they
      have to be damaged beyond serviceability.

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
        regardless, how would you go about pinpointing just
        where they were buried (were they likely buried?).
        That place likely takes up hundreds of acres, if not
        thousands. What else groovy was landfilled? Was it
        just Atari carts? What about puters?
        --- casting@yahoogroups.com <lathe9x20@...>
        wrote:
        > Hello, Mike
        >
        > Brass can be blackened chemically, and aluminum can
        be anodized black.
        > Check Caswell Plating http://www.caswellplating.com
        for supplies for
        > the AL. There are pictures of black gun parts
        there. Don't even try

        http://www.sculptnouveau.com/, or the science
        http://www.coscosci.com/patinas/index.htm.

        > If it were me, I'd look very seriously at paints
        applied with an
        > inexpensive air brush. Epoxy paint is damn tough!
        >
        > 'hope this helps
        >
        > JohnL
        >

        > The
        >
        > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <ezme@r...>
        wrote:

        > > I am using brass and aluminum to fabricate scale
        models. I need to
        > > blacken the metals rather than paint them. I know
        there was a liquid
        > > by the name of Ebonol or Ebanol, it seems no
        longer available. I have
        > > checked on a substitute made by JAX (Supplied in
        the Grobet USA
        > > catalog) but Can$90.00 per gal it is rather
        expensive. Is there a way
        > > to achieve a really soft black finish without the
        use of expensive
        > > chemicals? The models in question will have some
        soft soldered joins
        > > so it won't be safe to apply any amount of heat.
        > >
        > > Mike

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Degnan
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
          I know that nearby where I live there are supposedly "bulldozed under"
          Commodore P500's. I have called QVC (the home shopping tv station)
          who now occupies the property once owned by Commodore in West Chester,
          PA. As you would expect they don't know much...but if anyone would
          like to do an expedition on the grounds of the office complex, let
          me know. I was told that they buried them "out back" but that's
          about all anyone knows. Would I run around with a metal detector
          and a shovel; yes I would! Anyone up for it? They could be buried
          under a parking lot by now...might make a fun little video. Imagine
          people digging for computers behind the QVC studio parking lot.

          Taking the video concept another step..has anyone seen the "Best
          In Show" movie about dog show particpants? Are we not the real-life
          equivalent of that movie, being so involved with such a specialized
          field as vintage computers to the point of doing a festival? Our
          group has some unique personalities, yes? I for one admit that I
          take this whole thing a little too far (ask my wife), but I don't
          care, if you're going to pick a hobby might as well dive in!

          I hope that this event is recorded for posterity. I will bring a
          video camera, maybe I will have time to do some interviews at the
          show.

          I posted my VCF exhibit on the VCF 3 site, I have not seen it yet,
          but I assume it's in pending status waiting for the site admin to
          approve and post to the public.

          Bill D

          -- E N D --
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
            Strange! I just logged in to the VCF admin site (Sellam hooked me up) and
            there were four exhibits waiting for approval. It's supposed to send me an
            email each time someone registers. Oh well.

            The exhibits are all approved now -- check back there Bill.

> [...]

            >> 'hope this helps
            >>
            >> JohnL
            >>

            >> The
            >>
            >> --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <ezme@r...>
            >wrote:
            >> >
            >> > I am using brass and aluminum to fabricate scale
            >models. I need to
            >> > blacken the metals rather than paint them. I know
            >there was a liquid
            >> > by the name of Ebonol or Ebanol, it seems no
            >longer available. I have
            >> > checked on a substitute made by JAX (Supplied in
            >the Grobet USA
            >> > catalog) but Can$90.00 per gal it is rather
            >expensive. Is there a way
            >> > to achieve a really soft black finish without the
            >use of expensive
            >> > chemicals? The models in question will have some
            >soft soldered joins
            >> > so it won't be safe to apply any amount of heat.

            -- E N D --