Great day

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2011
      Everything worked out well with today's rescues.

      Ian and I picked up two Wang 2200 systems from Marshal G., who runs a home construction business and bought the systems when they were new. He found us via Erik Klein and separately via Mike Loewen. Both systems have the correct desks and both have (triple!) floppy drives. Also some manuals, a printer, and an extra CPU box. That filled Ian's minivan.

      Then we went to Degnanco, where Bill himself, his brother Dave, Bill Drom., Raven (John) from the vintage-computer.com forum, and Alex (one of John's friends) all helped Ian and I load the 14-foot U-haul.

      Next, Bill Deg.'s local bar. :) A much-needed stop there after we all schlepped heavy boxes in the sun.

      Back at InfoAge, Ian and I met up with Matt M. and Jeff J., and we four unloaded the truck and minivan.

      We decided to put a Wang 2200 on display in the museum. To make room we removed the IBM System/38. Ian pointed out, and I agree, that it's good to change things in the exhibits now and then. Also there's the 1130 on exhibit right across the wall, so now we have another brand represented.

      Against all of my best judgment and everything Degnan's taught me re: care and feeding of newly acquired vintage computers, Ian decided we should plug in the 2200 and see what happens. :)

      IT WORKS!

      Well, sort of. It has BASIC in memory and that part works fine. We didn't have power to the floppy drives (Wang made a hard drive, but this benefactor didn't have one.) We'll have to work on that.

      Nice to have at least a somewhat-working mini on exhibit.

      Final stop was for pizza, then home. I just got home 20 minutes ago; Ian has three hours of highway ahead of him, so he'll get home around 3am and wake up for work at 7am. Definitely our "MARCHin of the Month" for his help today. And he introduced me to a new toy: deracking handtrucks. His was a big help all day long. Turns out that InfoAge has one too and none of us knew it.

      Final note: there were enough "Wang" jokes today to last us a lifetime. :)
    • Jeff Jonas
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2011
        a few little pix of my adventures,
        I'll add more tomorrow

        http://ferretronix.com/march/july_2011/
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 25, 2011
          > Everything worked out well with today's rescues.

          I forgot to thank Jeff F., who delivered MARCH's extra two IMSAIs from
          the museum up north to me. I wasn't able to get them during the week
          (missed Wednesday's IA staff meeting) so Jeff F. saved me an extra trip
          or having to make a side trip en route to Philly.