Re: [midatlanticretro] TRS 80 Model I - Success

  • Chris McKinley
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
      congrats Bill...now maybe you can help me with my
      model 2000 (actually I think the p/s only needs a
      resistor replaced). Theres enough people interested in
      owning the last computer to carry the TRS-80 moniker,
      judging by what Ive seen them go for on Ebay, but not
      much of a basis for discussion. Hence the derth of
      activity in the group I created for it -
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tandy2000/ - and other
      semi-compatibles. Am I the only one that finds these
      things unique and interesting?
      --- billdeg@... <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > Just thought I would announce the successful
      restoration of a complete
      > TRS 80 Model I (level II 16K), Expansion Interface,
      and dual Percom
      > Disk Drives. In total it runs on 48K. After this
      post I am going to
      > put up some screen shots as proof of the
      restoration.
      > vintagecomputer.net/tandy/trs80_1/
      >
      > I had been working on this project off and on for 2
      years. Finding
      > working parts has been a challenge. The final bit
      was to replace the
      > 1771 chip on the expansion unit (for operating the
      drives), and then
      > whammo we were in business. This is what it's all
      about (at least for

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
        Chris, are you on the classiccmp.org mailing lists?  That's where you will find the experts, I think.

        Or contact Rick Hanson at club100.org --  rick@...

        --- billdeg@... <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > Just thought I would announce the
        successful
        restoration of a complete
        > TRS 80 Model I (level II 16K),
        Expansion Interface,
        and dual Percom
        > Disk Drives.  In total it
        runs on 48K.  After this
        post I am going to
        > put up some screen
        shots as proof of the
        restoration.

        vintagecomputer.net/tandy/trs80_1/

        > I had been working on this
        project off and on for 2
        years.  Finding
        > working parts has been
        a challenge.  The final bit
        was to replace the

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
          Chris,
          I have a 1000sx. It was a in-store Hallmark electronic greeting card
          generator. I have not done much with it.
          bill

          In a message dated 4/8/2005 9:30:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          chrism3667@... writes:

          > congrats Bill...now maybe you can help me with my
          > model 2000 (actually I think the p/s only needs a
          > resistor replaced). Theres enough people interested in
          > owning the last computer to carry the TRS-80 moniker,
          > judging by what Ive seen them go for on Ebay, but not
          > much of a basis for discussion. Hence the derth of
          > activity in the group I created for it -
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tandy2000/ - and other
          > semi-compatibles. Am I the only one that finds these
          > things unique and interesting?
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
            That just made me realize -- you said 2000 -- I misread it earlier as 200.  Sorry.

            href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tandy2000/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tandy2000/ - and other
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
              EVAN...I AM THE EXPERT! LOL LOL! Nah, thats really a
              good distance from the truth. It just seemed to me
              that a rather curious footnote in the most significant
              portion of the computer timeline (that is the onset of
              THE personal computer)...would incite more interest.
              Guess you had to own one back in the day...

              <mailto:rick@...>
              > rick@...
              >
              > _____

              Success

              > congrats Bill...now maybe you can help me with my
              > model 2000 (actually I think the p/s only needs a
              > resistor replaced). Theres enough people interested
              in
              > owning the last computer to carry the TRS-80
              moniker,
              > judging by what Ive seen them go for on Ebay, but
              not
              > much of a basis for discussion. Hence the derth of
              > activity in the group I created for it -
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tandy2000/ - and other
              > semi-compatibles. Am I the only one that finds these
              > things unique and interesting?
              > --- billdeg@... <billdeg@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Just thought I would announce the successful
              > restoration of a complete
              > > TRS 80 Model I (level II 16K), Expansion
              Interface,
              > and dual Percom
              > > Disk Drives. In total it runs on 48K. After this
              > post I am going to
              > > put up some screen shots as proof of the
              > restoration.
              > > vintagecomputer.net/tandy/trs80_1/
              > >
              > > I had been working on this project off and on for
              2
              > years. Finding
              > > working parts has been a challenge. The final bit
              > was to replace the
              > > 1771 chip on the expansion unit (for operating the
              > drives), and then
              > > whammo we were in business. This is what it's all
              > about (at least for
              > > me).
              > >
              > > The game Elimiator (one of the screen shots) was
              the
              > inspiration for
              > > the arcade game Defender
              > >
              > > BD