Wilmington this Weekend

    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
      All,

      I can't spend the entire day Saturday moving computer equipment. As it
      stands now I will be there around 10AM and my brother and I will start
      moving the non-vintage stuff into a small van. It would take two people
      1.5 - 3 hours to take all of the vintage computer gear including the
      Series/1 if you have the proper equipment.

      I am going to assume there is little interest in what remains. I am
      getting an estimate from the scrapper on Monday morning...the power goes
      offn on 8/2.

      Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
        > All,
        >
        > I can't spend the entire day Saturday moving computer equipment. As it stands now I will be there around 10AM and my brother and I will start moving the non-vintage stuff into a small van. It would take two people 1.5 - 3 hours to take all of the vintage computer gear including the Series/1 if you have the proper equipment.
        >
        > I am going to assume there is little interest in what remains. I am getting an estimate from the scrapper on Monday morning...the power goes offn on 8/2.

        Bill etc. -

        Saturday plan w/ big truck + helpers wasn't coming together, so we have
        a new plan.

        Ian is available Sunday with his van and (almost more important!) his
        handtruck that's designed for de-racking -- big crank on the side and it
        lifts 200 pounds. So, Ian and I will go to your office Sunday, probably
        arriving mid-day. I may rent a minivan and go separate from him, that
        way we'll have twice the cargo capacity for much less cost (and much
        less hassle) than renting a truck.
      • brian_cirulnick
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011

          > I am going to assume there is little interest in what remains. I am
          > getting an estimate from the scrapper on Monday morning...the power goes
          > offn on 8/2.
          ----------------------

          P-mail offlist if you prefer, but I have time this weekend and could take a trip if there's anything left of interest. Please give me an idea of what remains and I'll weigh the costs/time of a trip up and down (Chris, do you want to go Shooting?), and I'll flip a coin.

          Thanks!
        • Mr Ian Primus
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
            --- On Wed, 7/20/11, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

            > I may rent a minivan and go separate from
            > him, that
            > way we'll have twice the cargo capacity for much less cost
            > (and much
            > less hassle) than renting a truck.

            I would suggest trying to get ahold of a van if at all possible. I've seen the Series/1, but I don't know exactly how large it is, width wise. The cargo area of the van I have is right at four feet wide, and eight feet long. I've moved two racks side by side before, but it's tricky, and both racks have to be two feet wide each or less, and able to go on their backs. This is complicated by the fact that if we de-rack the hardware from the rack, we'd have to put it back in before putting it into the van, since with two racks, plus the hardware from two racks, there won't be enough room unless the hardware goes back in the rack. Unfortunately, the access to the rear of the building is such that you'd really have to get the stuff out of the rack to get the rack out - too much to go over with the rack fully loaded.

            Failing another van, if you have access to any vehicle with a trailer hitch, renting a small trailer is also quite easy and cheap - there's no mileage on a trailer. My van has no trailer hitch or provisions to attach one. Perhaps you could install one on the Miata? :)

            -Ian
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
              > I would suggest trying to get ahold of a van if at all possible

              Okay.

              > My van has no trailer hitch or provisions to attach one. Perhaps you could install one on the Miata? :)

              It exists. I'm seen (very small) cargo trailers and also trailers for
              hauling race tires to the track. Other people use it for carrying
              bicycles or golf clubs.

              http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/30-1045.html
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
                > Bill etc. -
                >
                > Saturday plan w/ big truck + helpers wasn't coming together, so we have
                > a new plan.
                >
                > Ian is available Sunday with his van and (almost more important!) his
                > handtruck that's designed for de-racking -- big crank on the side and it

                > lifts 200 pounds. So, Ian and I will go to your office Sunday, probably
                > arriving mid-day. I may rent a minivan and go separate from him, that
                > way we'll have twice the cargo capacity for much less cost (and much
                > less hassle) than renting a truck.

                Great news, Call me Sunday when you're about 45 minutes away.
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
                  >> Bill etc. -
                  >>
                  >> Saturday plan w/ big truck + helpers wasn't coming together, so we have
                  >> a new plan.
                  >>
                  >> Ian is available Sunday with his van and (almost more important!) his
                  >> handtruck that's designed for de-racking -- big crank on the side and it
                  >> lifts 200 pounds. So, Ian and I will go to your office Sunday, probably
                  >> arriving mid-day. I may rent a minivan and go separate from him, that
                  >> way we'll have twice the cargo capacity for much less cost (and much
                  >> less hassle) than renting a truck.
                  >>

                  > Great news, Call me Sunday when you're about 45 minutes away.
                  > Bill

                  Okay.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
                    > > I am going to assume there is little interest in what remains. I am
                    > > getting an estimate from the scrapper on Monday morning...the power
                    goes
                    > > offn on 8/2.
                    > ----------------------
                    >
                    > P-mail offlist if you prefer, but I have time this weekend and could take
                    a trip if there's anything left of interest. Please give me an idea of what
                    remains and I'll weigh the costs/time of a trip up and down (Chris, do you
                    want to go Shooting?), and I'll flip a coin.

                    MARCH is going to take whatever it can fit, here is the list

                    http://www.vintagecomputer.net/itemsavailable/2011

                    I have *more* that I can bring Sunday especialy manuals. Some is already
                    at the new shop, some items at home.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011

                      > > P-mail offlist if you prefer, but I have time this weekend and could
                      take
                      > a trip if there's anything left of interest. Please give me an idea of
                      what
                      > remains and I'll weigh the costs/time of a trip up and down (Chris, do
                      you
                      > want to go Shooting?), and I'll flip a coin.
                      > >

                      > MARCH is going to take whatever it can fit, here is the list
                      >
                      > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/itemsavailable/2011
                      >
                      > I have *more* that I can bring Sunday especialy manuals. Some is already

                      > at the new shop, some items at home.
                      >
                      > Bill

                      I should add that anyone who comes down to help will get to keep one item
                      of their choice, the rest will go to MARCH. Essentially I am turning over
                      everything to MARCH at this point. What is not taken will be scrapped.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
                        > I should add that anyone who comes down to help will get to keep one item of their choice, the rest will go to MARCH.

                        Same goes for anyone who helps us unload back at InfoAge, which will be
                        sometime Sunday afternoon/evening.

                        But, we need more help loading than unloading. That is very important.

                        Also, MARCH has first dibs on whatever is there. :)
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011

                          > Same goes for anyone who helps us unload back at InfoAge, which will be
                          > sometime Sunday afternoon/evening.
                          >
                          > But, we need more help loading than unloading. That is very important.
                          >
                          > Also, MARCH has first dibs on whatever is there. :)

                          Evan,
                          Did you get the Poly's (from Rolf) and will you be able to pick up tonight
                          the IMSAI's (One to sell one to keep for MARCH)? It would help make the
                          trip more worthwhile if you can bring all of these to me Sunday.
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
                            > Evan,
                            > Did you get the Poly's (from Rolf) and will you be able to pick up tonight
                            > the IMSAI's (One to sell one to keep for MARCH)? It would help make the
                            > trip more worthwhile if you can bring all of these to me Sunday.
                            > Bill

                            Will reply off-list.
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
                              > MARCH is going to take whatever it can fit

                              I reserved a 10-foot U-haul with a ramp. Only $89.60.
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
                                > Also, MARCH has first dibs

                                Oh, something very important: Ian has co-first dibs (anything but the
                                Series/1) because he's supplying his time and van.
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
                                  On 07/20/2011 12:56 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                  > I reserved a 10-foot U-haul with a ramp. Only $89.60.

                                  Be careful, check the invoice very carefully. That company has
                                  screwed me the past three times I've dealt with them. I won't do
                                  business with them anymore.

                                  Dave McGuire
                                  Port Charlotte, FL
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 20, 2011
                                    >> I reserved a 10-foot U-haul with a ramp. Only $89.60.
                                    > Be careful, check the invoice very carefully. That company has screwed me the past three times I've dealt with them.

                                    Umm, okay.

                                    I always check invoices carefully.
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 22, 2011
                                      In case anyone's interested, here is the latest version of our plan for
                                      this Sunday.

                                      - Ian drives his minivan from upstate NY to my house in northern NJ;
                                      picks up yours truly.
                                      - We go to U-haul place in a suburb of Philadelphia and get a 14-foot
                                      box truck.
                                      - We pick up a pair of Wang 2200 minicomputers in aforementioned suburb.
                                      - We caravan to Wilmington, Delaware and get stuff from Degnan's office.
                                      Probably fill both vehicles.
                                      - We leave Degnan with MARCH's extra two IMSAIs so that he can make at
                                      least one working system, which we'll auction off to MARCHins exclusively.
                                      - We give Degnan two Polymorphic 88s, courtesy of recent benefactor Rolf
                                      L., which Degnan will use to fix his own Poly and perhaps Rolf's as
                                      well; Rolf says someday these systems will be ours.
                                      - We drive both vehicles back to InfoAge and unload
                                      - We return the truck near InfoAge, then Ian drives me home, and he
                                      returns to NY
                                      - I send email to this list basking in joy of our mission accomplished!
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 23, 2011
                                        Who is coming? On this end will be my brother Dave and I. Dave is
                                        going to help me move my non-vintage furniture, etc.

                                        I have a Wang terminal "top" that might be compatible with the Wang
                                        2200, and this terminal is part of the haul for Sunday. Later this
                                        morning I will post pictures of items that will be for sale, that I
                                        can bring from my home, if anyone coming Sunday wants to buy them. I
                                        will bring to Wilmington, and they can be sent to InfoAge too I
                                        suppose, if there's room.

                                        bill

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 23, 2011
                                          > Who is coming?

                                          Just me, Ian, and Ian's high-tech moving cart.

                                          Jeff B. offered but he's done way more than his fair share of schlepping
                                          things for MARCH, so I think other people should step up. :) (Anybody
                                          out there?)
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 23, 2011
                                            > I have a Wang terminal "top" that might be compatible with the Wang 2200

                                            FYI, here's some 2200 info:

                                            http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Wang_System_2200_Computer_1974.jpg

                                            http://www.wang2200.org/
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 23, 2011
                                              My terminal is from the early 80's, too new.
                                              bd

                                              At 03:24 PM 7/23/2011, you wrote:

                                              > > I have a Wang terminal "top" that might be compatible with the Wang 2200
                                              >

                                              >FYI, here's some 2200 info:
                                              >
                                              >http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Wang_System_2200_Computer_1974.jpg
                                              >
                                              >http://www.wang2200.org/

                                            • Bill Dromgoole
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 23, 2011
                                                I'll help.
                                                What time should I be at Bill's parking lot?
                                                I think I know where it is at.

                                                billdrom
                                                Just me, Ian, and Ian's high-tech moving cart.

                                                Jeff B. offered but he's done way more than his fair share of schlepping
                                                things for MARCH, so I think other people should step up.  :)  (Anybody
                                                out there?)

                                                <*> Your email settings:
                                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                                    midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 23, 2011

                                                  I'll help.
                                                  What time should I be at Bill's parking lot?
                                                  I think I know where it is at.

                                                  Thank you.

                                                  Ian and I are shooting to reach Horsham, PA (the first stop) by 10:15, and Wilmington (second stop) by 1:00pm.

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 23, 2011

                                                      I will be there after 12, but it's hard to know when Ian and Evan will actually show, because there are so many steps.  It might be good to coordinate in real time with Ian and Evan

                                                      Bill Drom.: I'll call you when we leave Horsham. Google Maps says it's about an hour, or slightly less, from there to Wilmington.
                                                    • Bill Dromgoole
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 23, 2011
                                                        I'll shoot for 12:30 at your place .

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jul 23, 2011
                                                          OK, I would not expect Evan and Ian before 1:30.  I will be moving my non-vintage stuff at that time (tables, etc.)

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jul 23, 2011
                                                            OK, its about an hour from here to Bills building, so I'll leave after you call.

                                                            Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2011 4:31 PM