Re: [midatlanticretro] Heathkit / Zenith Z-19

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19 8:27 PM
      At 08:40 AM 7/14/2011, you wrote:

      >On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Mike Loewen
      ><mloewen@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I finally officially joined the Heathkit collectors club, with the
      > > arrival of a H19 terminal and H89 computer. The H89 has an extra 16KB
      > > memory board installed to bring it to 64KB, a soft-sectored floppy
      > > controller and two Teac FD-55F-03-U quad density (720KB) drives and 3
      > > serial ports. Not sure when I'll get to play with them, but I'm looking
      > > forward to it.
      > >

      > > Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      > > Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

      <snip>

      >The Heath/Zenith H/Z-19 terminals are really great...I've got one that
      >serves as my main bench terminal, and another waiting to be repaired.
      >My only real complaint about them is that the baud select switches are
      >/inside/, requiring removal of the top of the case (which invariably
      >has things piled on it). Good reason to modify all console boards to
      >run at 9600 bps!
      >
      >I'd like to convert one of the H-19s I have to a H-89...cool form factor!
      >
      >Jonathan

      I agree totally. The best terminal for general purpose use could
      very well be the H19 or Z19. These things seem to have held up well over time.

      Bill
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20 6:47 AM
        On Tue, 19 Jul 2011, B Degnan wrote:

        >> The Heath/Zenith H/Z-19 terminals are really great...I've got one that
        >> serves as my main bench terminal, and another waiting to be repaired.
        >> My only real complaint about them is that the baud select switches are
        >> /inside/, requiring removal of the top of the case (which invariably
        >> has things piled on it). Good reason to modify all console boards to
        >> run at 9600 bps!
        >>
        >> I'd like to convert one of the H-19s I have to a H-89...cool form factor!
        >>
        >> Jonathan
        >
        > I agree totally. The best terminal for general purpose use could
        > very well be the H19 or Z19. These things seem to have held up well over time.

        Personally, I find my DEC VT-420 to be most useful in the terminal
        department. Small, easily configurable, plug-in keyboard, and it does
        VT100 correctly. :-)

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20 10:34 AM
          On 07/20/2011 09:47 AM, Mike Loewen wrote:
          > Personally, I find my DEC VT-420 to be most useful in the terminal
          > department. Small, easily configurable, plug-in keyboard, and it does
          > VT100 correctly. :-)

          Agreed; I use VT420s almost exclusively nowadays. I used to use
          VT320s but switched to 420s when they came down in price. They're both
          excellent terminals, and the VT420s dual-session capability is handy.

          Dave McGuire
          Port Charlotte, FL
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20 11:01 AM
            Bill Degnan

            > On 07/20/2011 09:47 AM, Mike Loewen wrote:
            > > Personally, I find my DEC VT-420 to be most useful in the
            terminal
            > > department. Small, easily configurable, plug-in keyboard, and it does
            > > VT100 correctly. :-)
            >
            > Agreed; I use VT420s almost exclusively nowadays. I used to use
            > VT320s but switched to 420s when they came down in price. They're both
            > excellent terminals, and the VT420s dual-session capability is handy.
            >
            > -Dave

            I used to use the 220/320's when I worked at DuPont for a while, they are
            very nice terminals I agree.