Re: [midatlanticretro] Lisa landfill

    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
      Joe,

      Well... if the soil is prefectly dry, then it might be possible. The machines
      might even be in good shape if they were not crushed.

      People are recovering amazing things. A few years ago a group of well-funded
      people dug a Lockeed P-38 (the airplane) out of a glacier on Greenland and,
      after a large infusion of cash, made it fly again. So recovering some Lisas
      from a landfill should be a piece of cake!

      > I remember reading that sometime in 1984 that Atari dumped several
      > million E.T. 2600 cartidges in a desert landfill. I was recently read an
      > article about a couple goys who went out and recovered several hundred
      > of these cartridges and were still able to get them to work. Now, I'va
      > also read that sometime in 1989, Apple dumped several thousand Lisa
      > computer systems in a desert landfill. Do you think it would be possible
      > to recover any of those in a similar fashion? Not that I'm interested in
      > going to Utah, but out of curiousity.

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
        Right, what Jim said!  Just don't tell the EPA or the police we sent you.  They'd get us for endangering the welfare of a minor.

        Well... if the soil is prefectly dry, then it might be possible. The machines
        might even be in good shape if they were not crushed.

        People are recovering amazing things. A few years ago a group of well-funded
        people dug a Lockeed P-38 (the airplane) out of a glacier on Greenland and,
        after a large infusion of cash, made it fly again. So recovering some Lisas
        from a landfill should be a piece of cake!

        > I remember reading that sometime in 1984 that Atari dumped
        several
        > million E.T. 2600 cartidges in a desert landfill. I was
        recently read an
        > article about a couple goys who went out and recovered
        several hundred
        > of these cartridges and were still able to get them to
        work. Now, I'va
        > also read that sometime in 1989, Apple dumped several
        thousand Lisa
        > computer systems in a desert landfill. Do you think it
        would be possible
        > to recover any of those in a similar fashion? Not
        that I'm interested in
        > going to Utah, but out of curiousity.

      • Ray Sills
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
          And... there's another issue: permission. The landfill could be on
          private property... or government property, and the people who
          control it might take exception to someone wandering on to the
          property, and digging up items that are buried.

          Some discarded items are just left on the surface, like old airplanes
          located in various mothball locations in the southwest. But, if
          these items are in a true landfill, it might not be possible to open
          the landfill without a court order or something like that. And the
          EPA might also not want anyone digging, either.

          Still, it's a shame that some neat stuff has been disposed of by
          dumping. Apple Computer didn't have an Apple Store on the web back
          then to enable them to sell the LISAs as "refurbished".

          73 de Ray

          On Jan 26, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Jim Scheef wrote:

          > Joe,
          >
          > Well... if the soil is prefectly dry, then it might be possible.
          > The machines
          > might even be in good shape if they were not crushed.
          >
          > People are recovering amazing things. A few years ago a group of
          > well-funded
          > people dug a Lockeed P-38 (the airplane) out of a glacier on
          > Greenland and,
          > after a large infusion of cash, made it fly again. So recovering
          > some Lisas
          > from a landfill should be a piece of cake!
          >
          > Jim
          >
          > --- Joe Giliberti <starbase89@...> wrote:
          >

          >> I remember reading that sometime in 1984 that Atari dumped several
          >> million E.T. 2600 cartidges in a desert landfill. I was recently
          >> read an
          >> article about a couple goys who went out and recovered several
          >> hundred
          >> of these cartridges and were still able to get them to work. Now,
          >> I'va
          >> also read that sometime in 1989, Apple dumped several thousand Lisa
          >> computer systems in a desert landfill. Do you think it would be
          >> possible
          >> to recover any of those in a similar fashion? Not that I'm
          >> interested in
          >> going to Utah, but out of curiousity.

        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
            aw shoot, just go in the middle of the night! I'm
            actually intrigued by the idea of driving out there. I
            went to a car dealership today (none of my bombs would
            make it out there). Think I'll hold off on a car until
            AFTER I find a house. Sleeping in a car is no way near
            as comfortable...
            Computer Factory had Lisa's back in the late 80's.
            About $200 in the box. I found out after the fact
            though. And they were right in Nassau county. I did
            take a trip up to Middletown New York for their big
            sale . No Lisa's there though :(.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Richard A. Cini
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
              It was a tax issue for Apple. IIRC, they did this at the EOL of the Lisa
              line. They couldn't sell them and they couldn't take the write-off --
              remembering back to accounting, you can write-down inventory to its fair
              market value (zero in this case), but of course you take a charge to
              earnings for that amount.

              There's a loophole however in that if you destroy them, you can take the
              write-off with no hit to earnings, although I don't know the finer points of
              that tax treatment. I remember reading that they brought them to the
              landfill and ran them over with bulldozers.

              And... there's another issue: permission. The landfill could be on
              private property... or government property, and the people who
              control it might take exception to someone wandering on to the
              property, and digging up items that are buried.

              Some discarded items are just left on the surface, like old airplanes
              located in various mothball locations in the southwest. But, if
              these items are in a true landfill, it might not be possible to open
              the landfill without a court order or something like that. And the
              EPA might also not want anyone digging, either.

              Still, it's a shame that some neat stuff has been disposed of by
              dumping. Apple Computer didn't have an Apple Store on the web back
              then to enable them to sell the LISAs as "refurbished".

              73 de Ray

              On Jan 26, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Jim Scheef wrote:

              > Joe,
              >
              > Well... if the soil is prefectly dry, then it might be possible.
              > The machines
              > might even be in good shape if they were not crushed.
              >
              > People are recovering amazing things. A few years ago a group of
              > well-funded
              > people dug a Lockeed P-38 (the airplane) out of a glacier on
              > Greenland and,
              > after a large infusion of cash, made it fly again. So recovering
              > some Lisas
              > from a landfill should be a piece of cake!
              >
              > Jim
              >
              > --- Joe Giliberti <starbase89@...> wrote:
              >

              >> I remember reading that sometime in 1984 that Atari dumped several
              >> million E.T. 2600 cartidges in a desert landfill. I was recently
              >> read an
              >> article about a couple goys who went out and recovered several
              >> hundred
              >> of these cartridges and were still able to get them to work. Now,
              >> I'va
              >> also read that sometime in 1989, Apple dumped several thousand Lisa
              >> computer systems in a desert landfill. Do you think it would be
              >> possible
              >> to recover any of those in a similar fashion? Not that I'm
              >> interested in
              >> going to Utah, but out of curiousity.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Chris M
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
                just curious why they would have gone to the trouble
                of running them over with bulldozers. Would not
                dumping them several states away be enough to
                constitute destruction? Did the bean counters worry
                someone would drive out there and retrieve them?

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
                  Actually, yes. There's something in the tax code that specifies that they
                  have to be damaged beyond serviceability.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
                    regardless, how would you go about pinpointing just
                    where they were buried (were they likely buried?).
                    That place likely takes up hundreds of acres, if not
                    thousands. What else groovy was landfilled? Was it
                    just Atari carts? What about puters?
                    --- casting@yahoogroups.com <lathe9x20@...>

                    http://www.sculptnouveau.com/, or the science
                    http://www.coscosci.com/patinas/index.htm.

                    > If it were me, I'd look very seriously at paints
                    applied with an
                    > inexpensive air brush. Epoxy paint is damn tough!
                    >
                    > 'hope this helps
                    >
                    > JohnL
                    >

                    > The
                    >
                    > --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <ezme@r...>
                    wrote:

                    > > I am using brass and aluminum to fabricate scale
                    models. I need to
                    > > blacken the metals rather than paint them. I know
                    there was a liquid
                    > > by the name of Ebonol or Ebanol, it seems no
                    longer available. I have
                    > > checked on a substitute made by JAX (Supplied in
                    the Grobet USA
                    > > catalog) but Can$90.00 per gal it is rather
                    expensive. Is there a way
                    > > to achieve a really soft black finish without the
                    use of expensive
                    > > chemicals? The models in question will have some
                    soft soldered joins
                    > > so it won't be safe to apply any amount of heat.
                    > >
                    > > Mike

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Degnan
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
                      I know that nearby where I live there are supposedly "bulldozed under"
                      Commodore P500's. I have called QVC (the home shopping tv station)
                      who now occupies the property once owned by Commodore in West Chester,
                      PA. As you would expect they don't know much...but if anyone would
                      like to do an expedition on the grounds of the office complex, let
                      me know. I was told that they buried them "out back" but that's
                      about all anyone knows. Would I run around with a metal detector
                      and a shovel; yes I would! Anyone up for it? They could be buried
                      under a parking lot by now...might make a fun little video. Imagine
                      people digging for computers behind the QVC studio parking lot.

                      Taking the video concept another step..has anyone seen the "Best
                      In Show" movie about dog show particpants? Are we not the real-life
                      equivalent of that movie, being so involved with such a specialized
                      field as vintage computers to the point of doing a festival? Our
                      group has some unique personalities, yes? I for one admit that I
                      take this whole thing a little too far (ask my wife), but I don't
                      care, if you're going to pick a hobby might as well dive in!

                      I hope that this event is recorded for posterity. I will bring a
                      video camera, maybe I will have time to do some interviews at the
                      show.

                      I posted my VCF exhibit on the VCF 3 site, I have not seen it yet,
                      but I assume it's in pending status waiting for the site admin to
                      approve and post to the public.

                      Bill D

                      -- E N D --
                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
                        Strange! I just logged in to the VCF admin site (Sellam hooked me up) and
                        there were four exhibits waiting for approval. It's supposed to send me an
                        email each time someone registers. Oh well.

                        The exhibits are all approved now -- check back there Bill.

> [...]

                        >> 'hope this helps
                        >>
                        >> JohnL
                        >>

                        >> The
                        >>
                        >> --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <ezme@r...>
                        >wrote:
                        >> >
                        >> > I am using brass and aluminum to fabricate scale
                        >models. I need to
                        >> > blacken the metals rather than paint them. I know
                        >there was a liquid
                        >> > by the name of Ebonol or Ebanol, it seems no
                        >longer available. I have
                        >> > checked on a substitute made by JAX (Supplied in
                        >the Grobet USA
                        >> > catalog) but Can$90.00 per gal it is rather
                        >expensive. Is there a way
                        >> > to achieve a really soft black finish without the
                        >use of expensive
                        >> > chemicals? The models in question will have some
                        >soft soldered joins
                        >> > so it won't be safe to apply any amount of heat.

                        -- E N D --