Big thanks: Rolf L.

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 17, 2011
      MARCH thanks our latest benefactor, Rolf L., who brought us goodies today: an original Apple II, a Lisa II (with keyboard, etc., not like our others), a Laser 128, several Powerbooks, a tape drive, two Apple II+(s), and a promise of more to come including some rare S-100 systems in the future.
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 17, 2011
        From: Evan Koblentz

        MARCH thanks our latest benefactor, Rolf L., who brought us goodies today:
        an original Apple II, a Lisa II (with keyboard, etc., not like our others),
        a Laser 128, several Powerbooks, a tape drive, two Apple II+(s), and a
        promise of more to come including some rare S-100 systems in the future.

        *** Yes, thanks Rolf ! MARCH has been wanting an original Apple II for
        quite some time !
        *** Jeff3 B
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 17, 2011
          > MARCH thanks our latest benefactor, Rolf L., who brought us goodies today: an original Apple II, a Lisa II (with keyboard, etc., not like our others), a Laser 128, several Powerbooks, a tape drive, two Apple II+(s), and a promise of more to come including some rare S-100 systems in the future.

          Something strange happened today: almost everything went as planned!

          Our new "straight" Apple II fired right up.

          Rolf says the Lisa worked the last time he tried it five years ago.
          Looking forward to trying it one of these days.

          The Laser 128 looks beat-up, but there are more coming.

          There's a whole box of Powerbooks. We will keep one or two and sell the
          rest.

          We sold one of the Model 28 teletypes today. Still two left.

          Two of our visitors today work for Google. One's based in NYC, and said
          he will encourage Googlers to take a field trip and visit us!

          Nick L. stopped by and brought several of his family members to visit.
          That was nice.

          Jeff J. and Matt M. got some useful things done in the museum and in the
          storage areas.

          Got to meet the new guy (Matt L. aka Matt #3). Very nice guy.

          I'm exhausted! Busy day and we got a bunch of good things done.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 17, 2011

            >> MARCH thanks our latest benefactor, Rolf L., who brought us goodies today: an original Apple II, a Lisa II (with keyboard, etc., not like our others), a Laser 128, several Powerbooks, a tape drive, two Apple II+(s), and a promise of more to come including some rare S-100 systems in the future.
            > Something strange happened today: almost everything went as planned!
            >
            > Our new "straight" Apple II fired right up.
            >
            > Rolf says the Lisa worked the last time he tried it five years ago.
            > Looking forward to trying it one of these days.
            >
            > The Laser 128 looks beat-up, but there are more coming.
            >
            > There's a whole box of Powerbooks. We will keep one or two and sell the
            > rest.

            I forgot to mention (because I always forget something) .... Rolf also
            brought us to Ampere portables, an Osborne, and an Amstrad PPC640 with
            the case, manual, and power supply. That's a very interested portable
            from Britain. Very unique-looking machine. We removed the Tandy CoCo 2
            from the consumer micro exhibit room (Room 5) and put the Amstrad in its
            place, next to the Sinclair ZX-81 of course.
          • Rolf Levenbach
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 17, 2011
              You have enough  Powerbooks now to put one in each room for dynamic signage (if they work, of course ;). Cable them together with Ethernet or Localtalk to make an instant Appletalk network (no router required). Next week I will bring a Personal Laserwriter, arguably the device that stimulated the desktop publishing 'revolution'.

              Rolf

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 17, 2011

                You have enough  Powerbooks now to put one in each room for dynamic signage (if they work, of course ;).

                A fine idea; we're already working on something similar -- "the green screen experience" in which we'll use dumb terminals as information kiosks.
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 18, 2011
                  First of all, who is Rolf L?

                  Second, we should get a quick biography and picture of Mr. L..

                  I think we should document many of the benefactors.

                  We should learn who they are, how they came into their collections.

                  Benefactors should be given credit.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 18, 2011
                    >> First of all, who is Rolf L?

                    He met us at Maker Faire, attended VCF, and joined this list.

                    >> I think we should document many of the benefactors. We should learn who they are, how they came into their collections. Benefactors should be given credit.

                    Chris, we've discussed this on-list a few times. MARCH agrees with you, and documenting the benefactors is part of our long-term plan.

                    Here's a new interim idea. We could hang an LCD monitor on one of our walls; it could say "MARCH thanks its supporters" with a scrolling list of names. That would be a decent start, I think. When I look back at our 6.5 years of existence, there are a LOT of people who've helped us!!! Some names are lost due to my incompetence at tracking them, but most are known.

                    What's not known, regarding our many redundant micros, is who donated which. In most cases I can't match the man to the Commodore 64.

                    Exceptions are the rarer items -- we know exactly who gave the KIM, ACE, Altair, PDP-8, etc.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 18, 2011
                      >>> Here's a new interim idea. We could hang an LCD monitor on one of our walls; it could say "MARCH thanks its supporters" with a scrolling list of names. That would be a decent start, I think.

                      We also plan to give very special thanks where appropriate ... so far that list includes Dimitry Grabbe, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Claude Kagan, and the family of Tom Kirk -- all being very high-value donations (arguably those with total values of at least $10,000). And of course InfoAge itself for giving us rent-free space.
                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 18, 2011
                        Dammit I missed this but I wonder what it was

                        http://cgi.ebay.com/140576118483?clk_rvr_id=248335143463
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 18, 2011
                          On 07/18/2011 02:03 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                          > Dammit I missed this but I wonder what it was
                          >
                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/140576118483?clk_rvr_id=248335143463

                          Kinda looks like a board-level homebrew in a generic chassis.

                          Dave McGuire
                          Port Charlotte, FL
                        • s100doctor
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 20, 2011
                            , Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                            > On 07/18/2011 02:03 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:
                            > > Dammit I missed this but I wonder what it was
                            > >
                            > > http://cgi.ebay.com/140576118483?clk_rvr_id=248335143463
                            >
                            > Kinda looks like a board-level homebrew in a generic chassis.
                            >
                            > -Dave

                            I looked. It's certainly S-100, probably Z80-based, in a box. Some semi-custom S-100 system, could be commercial, or just nicely built as a one off. The seller simply didn't know all that, or know to post board images. That's why it was cheap, but it was still over $100 with shipping. Such things go by often enough in that price range, seems to me.

                            Herb Johnson