museum earlier tonight ....

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 2011
      Learned some interesting things at the InfoAge meeting tonight. 1., The
      shipwreck group and other organizations in Monmouth County are planning
      a "Titanic Week" for the 100th anniversary of the ship's maiden voyage /
      sinking next April. 2., Umm .... I forget what the second thing is. Oh
      well. :)

      Jeff J. paid a surprise visit to InfoAge around 8pm, so I ditched the
      meeting and we worked on computer museum stuff. Did some things in the
      H-building (in advance of somebody coming to buy one of our Teletype
      Model 28 units this weekend), and then Jeff wanted to check out our 1130
      exhibit. He suggested a different way to organize the four parts (029
      punch; sorter; computer; printer) so that we could remove 1/3 of the
      center cubicle wall and let visitors walk through, rather than around,
      into the minicomputer exhibit. It worked out very well, and we'll finish
      up a few details on Sunday. He's going to work on cleaning two of the
      metal panels (one on the computer, one on the printer) that are
      especially dirty, and he'll load greenbar paper into the printer and the
      plotter.

      I'm not sure if we have any greenbar though. I thought we did, but on
      the ride home I remembered that it's just 8.5x11. Anyone know if we
      have greenbar and where it might be hiding? (We only need a small
      amount because it's just for display purposes.)
    • Jeff Jonas
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2011
        > Learned some interesting things at the InfoAge meeting tonight.
        > 1 The shipwreck group and other organizations
        > in Monmouth County are planning a "Titanic Week"
        > for the 100th anniversary of the ship's maiden voyage /
        > sinking next April.

        We owe the site to Marconi's station and the mandate
        that all ships install and staff their radios full time,
        using Tesla's inventions:
        http://www.pbs.org/tesla/ll/ll_whoradio.html

        Sarnoff CLAIMED to have received the Titanic's distress call:
        http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/technology/bigdream/masarnoff.html

        But that was disputed: he was promoted from telegrapher
        to office manager by then:
        http://earlyradiohistory.us/amwana.htm
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Sarnoff

        This is the centenary of other disasters:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shirtwaist_Factory_fire
        The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City on March 25, 1911, was the deadliest industrial disaster in the history of the city of New York ...

        but almost forgotten was something far worse:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS_General_Slocum
        On June 15, 1904, the General Slocum caught fire and sank in New York's East River ... An estimated 1,021 of the 1,342 people on board died. The General Slocum disaster was the New York area's worst disaster in terms of loss of life until the September 11, 2001 attacks.

        > 2., Umm .... I forget what the second thing is.

        A funny thing happened to me while working with Evan: he told 2 jokes I had never heard before. AND THEY WERE FUNNY!

        > Jeff J. paid a surprise visit to InfoAge around 8pm,
        > so I ditched the meeting and we worked on computer museum stuff.

        I'm rather pleased with myself for accomplishing something useful just by showing up! I earned those 3 slices of cold pizza by helping you summarize why the MAKER fair is a worthwhile event.

        > I'm not sure if we have any greenbar though.

        I thought we had a mini-box of it.

        > it's just 8.5x11

        No, it's much wider to allow 132 characters at 10 CPI so that's 13.2 inches printable, not counting the selvage (removable tractor feed sides).

        David Gesswein explains:
        http://www.pdp8online.com/images/greenbar.shtml
        The paper was typically 14 7/8 wide

        -- jeffj
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 14, 2011
          > We owe the site to Marconi's station and the mandate that all ships install and staff their radios full time, using Tesla's inventions:

          Right. Except the NJHDA guys, and Fred, and the radio folks, might strongly dispute the Tesla aspects.

          > A funny thing happened to me while working with Evan: he told 2 jokes I had never heard before. AND THEY WERE FUNNY!

          It was bound to happen eventually...

          > by helping you summarize why the MAKER fair is a worthwhile event.

          (There were some InfoAge people who were utterly clueless. A few of us were trying to explain Maker Faire to them. I think we were doing just fine at it.... except Steve who kept rambling about jewelry and crafts. Sorry, Jeff!)

          >> it's just 8.5x11

          > No, it's much wider

          I know that! (Duh) ... I was saying that the boxes which I initially thought were wide greenbar were actually just standard 8.5x11.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2011
            So...has anyone expressed interest in getting together some weekend
            in late July/August. If not, I will plan to come up some Sunday in
            August to help out as needed. Maybe bring a grill for something informal.
            Bill
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19, 2011
              So...has anyone expressed interest in getting together some weekend
              in late July/August. If not, I will plan to come up some Sunday in
              August to help out as needed. Maybe bring a grill for something informal.
              Bill

              *** I have expressed interest.
              *** Jeff3 B
            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011
                Checking the old Calendar..

                This weekend...Free
                Sat July 30... Baby Shower
                Sat Aug 13.....Reunion
                Aug 20-21......Reserve Duty.
                Aug 27-28......Free

                So if you have it on July 30, I can come after the baby shower or just on Sun
              • brian_cirulnick
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 20, 2011

                  > Checking the old Calendar..
                  >
                  > This weekend...Free
                  > Sat July 30... Baby Shower
                  > Sat Aug 13.....Reunion
                  > Aug 20-21......Reserve Duty.
                  > Aug 27-28......Free

                  My schedule:
                  This weekend: Working on Ty's Beetle (maybe)
                  July 30th - re-re schedule for my Brother's 50th B-day
                  Aug 7th -- Das Awkscht Fescht
                  Aug 13 -- Governor's Island VW show (and maybe a date)
                  Aug 14 -- Terryville CT VW show
                  Aug 20th -- Rumblers under the BQE
                  Sept 11 -- All air-cooled Gathering, Flanders NJ
                  Sept 17/18 -- Maker Faire NYC