Newbie Introduction / Re: Summer BBQ / museum tech day thread

  • Matthew
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 12, 2011
      Thanks for the warm welcome Evan!

      Matt 2.5... I like it! I don't feel a bit bad about that either, having one of the most common names out there it's something I'm very used to.

      To answer your questions: I live in Bergen county where I work as a teacher / tech administrator, but I originally hail from Monmouth, so I'm familiar with Camp Evans.

      As to my interest in the hobby,
      [WARNING, Propeller Hats on beyond this point]
      I'm actually most interested in the hardware itself. The engineering that went into building older workstations, let alone the heavy iron, is really remarkable.

      It's quite interesting to look at computer hardware built entirely with discrete components, as you can follow the logic of the system. Not that I don't have the greatest respect for today's nanoscale engineering mind you, but in terms of examining a board and trying to figure out what the design engineers were thinking, a 45nm IC might as well be labeled "Magic Occurring Inside. Begone Mortal!"

      If I had to pick a specific area of "vintage computing" I suppose VAX era DEC, if only for their apparent design philosophy of MTBF = Apocalypse + 30 years.

      [END Propeller Hat Warning]

      So hello again to all the club members, I look forward to meeting many of you in the future.

      Matt