TRS 80 Model I - Success

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8 6:53 AM
      Just thought I would announce the successful restoration of a complete
      TRS 80 Model I (level II 16K), Expansion Interface, and dual Percom
      Disk Drives. In total it runs on 48K. After this post I am going to
      put up some screen shots as proof of the restoration.
      vintagecomputer.net/tandy/trs80_1/

      I had been working on this project off and on for 2 years. Finding
      working parts has been a challenge. The final bit was to replace the
      1771 chip on the expansion unit (for operating the drives), and then
      whammo we were in business. This is what it's all about (at least for
      me).

      The game Elimiator (one of the screen shots) was the inspiration for
      the arcade game Defender

      BD
    • Chris McKinley
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8 6:29 PM
        congrats Bill...now maybe you can help me with my
        model 2000 (actually I think the p/s only needs a
        resistor replaced). Theres enough people interested in
        owning the last computer to carry the TRS-80 moniker,
        judging by what Ive seen them go for on Ebay, but not
        much of a basis for discussion. Hence the derth of
        activity in the group I created for it -
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tandy2000/ - and other
        semi-compatibles. Am I the only one that finds these
        things unique and interesting?

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8 6:34 PM
          Chris, are you on the classiccmp.org mailing lists?  That's where you will find the experts, I think.

          Or contact Rick Hanson at club100.org --  rick@...

          --- billdeg@... <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > Just thought I would announce the
          successful
          restoration of a complete
          > TRS 80 Model I (level II 16K),
          Expansion Interface,
          and dual Percom
          > Disk Drives.  In total it
          runs on 48K.  After this
          post I am going to
          > put up some screen
          shots as proof of the
          restoration.

          vintagecomputer.net/tandy/trs80_1/

          > I had been working on this
          project off and on for 2
          years.  Finding
          > working parts has been
          a challenge.  The final bit
          was to replace the

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8 8:19 PM
            Chris,
            I have a 1000sx. It was a in-store Hallmark electronic greeting card
            generator. I have not done much with it.
            bill

            In a message dated 4/8/2005 9:30:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            chrism3667@... writes:

            > congrats Bill...now maybe you can help me with my
            > model 2000 (actually I think the p/s only needs a
            > resistor replaced). Theres enough people interested in
            > owning the last computer to carry the TRS-80 moniker,
            > judging by what Ive seen them go for on Ebay, but not
            > much of a basis for discussion. Hence the derth of
            > activity in the group I created for it -
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tandy2000/ - and other
            > semi-compatibles. Am I the only one that finds these
            > things unique and interesting?
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8 8:31 PM
              That just made me realize -- you said 2000 -- I misread it earlier as 200.  Sorry.

              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tandy2000/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tandy2000/ - and other
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8 9:17 PM
                EVAN...I AM THE EXPERT! LOL LOL! Nah, thats really a
                good distance from the truth. It just seemed to me
                that a rather curious footnote in the most significant
                portion of the computer timeline (that is the onset of
                THE personal computer)...would incite more interest.
                Guess you had to own one back in the day...

                <mailto:rick@...>
                > rick@...
                >
                > _____

                Success

                > congrats Bill...now maybe you can help me with my
                > model 2000 (actually I think the p/s only needs a
                > resistor replaced). Theres enough people interested
                in
                > owning the last computer to carry the TRS-80
                moniker,
                > judging by what Ive seen them go for on Ebay, but
                not
                > much of a basis for discussion. Hence the derth of
                > activity in the group I created for it -
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tandy2000/ - and other
                > semi-compatibles. Am I the only one that finds these
                > things unique and interesting?
                > --- billdeg@... <billdeg@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Just thought I would announce the successful
                > restoration of a complete
                > > TRS 80 Model I (level II 16K), Expansion
                Interface,
                > and dual Percom
                > > Disk Drives. In total it runs on 48K. After this
                > post I am going to
                > > put up some screen shots as proof of the
                > restoration.
                > > vintagecomputer.net/tandy/trs80_1/
                > >
                > > I had been working on this project off and on for
                2
                > years. Finding
                > > working parts has been a challenge. The final bit
                > was to replace the
                > > 1771 chip on the expansion unit (for operating the
                > drives), and then
                > > whammo we were in business. This is what it's all
                > about (at least for
                > > me).
                > >
                > > The game Elimiator (one of the screen shots) was
                the
                > inspiration for
                > > the arcade game Defender
                > >
                > > BD